Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-24-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
Question Gelcoat application

Hi again,
So I finished repairing my old plexiglass hatch with fiberglass... I want to finish the project by applying gelcoat. I don't have a spray gun so I was hoping to use brush or roller to apply the gelcoat on the bare fiberglass repair area.
My research tells me the best way for gelcoat application is the spray gun. Did anyone worked with gelocoat with a brush or a roller?
What are the tips and hints you can tell me about it?

And instead of dealing with gelcoat on a hatch repair, should I just use a spray paint that is designed for plastic materials?

I want to have a somewhat professional look on this project and get accustomed to gelcoat application since I'll be dealing with a couple of hull scrathes this season before we dip her into the water...

Thanks

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Get a small Preval sprayer unit. They sell them at auto parts stores.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-24-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I've never known or heard of a DIYer spraying gelcoat. Not to say it can't be done, or is not done, but I've never come across it. I've only seen DIY use of the little touch-up tubes for filling chips and nicks.

My advice if you want a professional look is to pay a proferssional, it sounds like a small job...
Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SF—

Several of my friends spray gelcoat all the time. They're not pros, but the results they get are fabulous.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-25-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
The beauty of owning a cheap boat is doesn't matter how much you screw up the projects, the boat will make them look good... I'm just experimenting with this stuff... So, I looked up that spray thingy but unfortunately none of the local chain auto part stores have it... I'll give it a shot tomorrow at small local ones...
Should I buy a powered paint sprayer? I think the gel coat might be a bit too concentrated for that... What do you think?
BTW SF, I'd need looots of that tiny tubes to finish this project

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 06-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by merttan View Post
The beauty of owning a cheap boat is doesn't matter how much you screw up the projects, the boat will make them look good... I'm just experimenting with this stuff... So, I looked up that spray thingy but unfortunately none of the local chain auto part stores have it... I'll give it a shot tomorrow at small local ones...
Should I buy a powered paint sprayer? I think the gel coat might be a bit too concentrated for that... What do you think?
BTW SF, I'd need looots of that tiny tubes to finish this project
Go to an auto body shop... ask for who is their major supplier for paints, etc... Auto places (like Napa) will not carry it and the auto body supply places will - I do this all the time.. They can best tell you what you will need at the end...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 06-25-2008

timangiel is on a distinguished road
There is a company called mincraft (I think) that sells gell coat in a spray can. Has anyone ever used this stuff?
Old 06-25-2008
Telstar 28

Why bother... a Preval Sprayer unit is about $6.00. That means that you can use your own gelcoat, and not have to worry about color matching and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timangiel View Post
There is a company called mincraft (I think) that sells gell coat in a spray can. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-06-2008
S/V Jackfish Girl

Flightsport is on a distinguished road
Gel Coat Application

I just swabbed a quart of Gel Coat on my rudder that we did some glass repair too. But, as I was purchasing the sanding supplies at Home Depot, the guy there showed me a sprayer kit that would have been perfect for gel coat application. The kit is under $5 and is found in the paint aisle. I forget the name. unfortunately with Gel Coat, you wont be able to reuse the bottle. You can buy replacement bottles and air charges.

Brushing on works fine but lots of goop, drips brush strokes, etc., read: lots of sanding to make it look good.
Old 07-06-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
West has them but for more money - $8.99 - if you can't find any elsewhere.