Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-24-2008

km2x is on a distinguished road
Pressure Alcohol Tank

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement pressure alcohol tank? I have scoured the net and I cannot find one. Thanks.

K
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2008

fcsob is on a distinguished road
Buy a new stove.Alcohol Stoves - Origo Stoves
Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you've got an old pressurized alcohol stove, I'd ditch it in favor of a non-pressurized one. The pressurized ones were a good cause of many boat fires. YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-24-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If you've got an old pressurized alcohol stove, I'd ditch it in favor of a non-pressurized one. The pressurized ones were a good cause of many boat fires. YMMV.
True. On the one hand there was the boat that was previously in our slip, or one next to it, where the owner had a flare-up from his alcohol stove, put it out, went to the hospital to have his burns treated, and returned to find his boat burned nearly to the waterline.

On the other hand there was our temporary slip neighbours this spring that have been cruising with their current boat for 27 years and have had only three flare-ups, only one of them relatively bad, and none bad enough to warrant the fire extinguisher. (They plan to convert to propane. But they already have a dedicated, external propane locker.)

The problem with the non-pressurized alcohol stoves, as I understand it, is they generate much less heat than the pressurized ones.

We haven't decided what we're going to do. The pressurized stove makes me a bit antsy, and makes the Admiral a lot antsy. But a non-pressurized alcohol stove doesn't get very hot, retro-fitting our boat for propane would be Very Expensive, and CNG is both difficult and expensive to get refilled.

Jim
Old 06-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
the non-pressurized alcohol stoves generate plenty of heat....not as easy to control as LPG, but still quite workable.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-25-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
I'm still against the gas stoves... Though I may have to buy a camping stove to replace the old alcohol stove since a burner is clogged... But I can take the small propane tank off the stove and off the boat when we are not using the stove or when we are not aboard...
Pressurized flammable gas+heat+weak pipe links+spark= a flying deck...
Flammable Liquids+heat+weak pipe links+spark= learning how to use a fire extinguisher...
My only near danger experience was not paying attention to what my wife bought for the alcohol fuel once... It got a bit messy but no fires whatsoever... A wet towel and the fire was under control and extinguished momentarily...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 06-25-2008

Well, while we're on the subject of pressurized alcohol stoves again... Is the fuel these things use the same thing as the stuff you buy for Coleman lanterns and the backpack camp stoves you pump up? Certainly my Coleman lantern (which I loaned out and never got back) never gave me any trouble. And tho I don't think I actually ever used my little backpack camp stove (got out of the camping hobby soon after acquiring it), I don't recall having any trouble getting it going, either.

Jim
Old 06-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by merttan View Post
I'm still against the gas stoves... Though I may have to buy a camping stove to replace the old alcohol stove since a burner is clogged... But I can take the small propane tank off the stove and off the boat when we are not using the stove or when we are not aboard...
I dunno, ISTM a camping stove just can't quite replace a built-in stove, and it's one more bit of clutter around the place.

My wife keeps suggesting we get a propane BBQ grill to hang off the rail, or whatever, to use in place of the alcohol stove or replacing the alcohol stove. I'm thinking a BBQ grill would be nice to put on the boat for planned raft-offs and the like, but otherwise I don't want it rattling around the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merttan View Post
Pressurized flammable gas+heat+weak pipe links+spark= a flying deck...
True. If we had a propane locker outboard of the galley, like our transient slip neighbours had, the decision to convert to propane would be a non-brainer, in my view. Easy to go outside, open the locker, and turn off the gas at the source each time you're done with it. But we don't, adding such would be prohibitively expensive, we have absolutely no other place on the boat that would be safe to stash the propane supply, nor any place that could reasonably be made safe for same. So propane, in my mind, is out of the question for us.

Jim
Old 06-25-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Well, while we're on the subject of pressurized alcohol stoves again... Is the fuel these things use the same thing as the stuff you buy for Coleman lanterns and the backpack camp stoves you pump up?
NO! You must use high quality denatured alchohol - basically ethanol with a bit of methanol added to made it undrinkable. The Origo non-pressurized stoves use the same fuel but are less sensitive to inpurities since they don't have the tiny valves and passages. You can find it any hardware store for about $10-12 per gallon.

Having used Kenyon pressurized stoves for many years and now using an Origo non-pressurized, I can't say enough about how much better the Origo is. Safer, easier to use, no flareups of flameouts, easier to control, higher heat output, etc.
Old 06-25-2008

rawsonnut is on a distinguished road
Pressure tank

After reading all this and you still want one send me a message. I have one in storage.