Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-24-2008
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
RACOR Primary Filter Element

I changed my Racor primary fuel filter this past weekend. I didn't realize until I was in the middle of changing, but the previous owner used a 2 micron and I used a 30 micron. I figured that 30 was to be used in the primary, but I wanted to get other opinions.

The engine is the Yanmar 4JH and the secondary filter on the engine is 5 micron (I think).
Old 06-24-2008

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
I have always used the 2 micron. I check the engine filter maybe once a season, but it is always nice and clean. Changing a racor is easier and quicker than messing with the engine filter. Let it catch the bad stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Cool I don't know much, but I know someone who does....

http://www.seaskills.com/files/SeaSk...WhitePaper.pdf

"only run 10-micron filters in the Racor primary filters.
He was very explicit – 2-micron filters should NOT be used."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-24-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Yanmar does not reccommend using the 2 micron filter.
Old 06-24-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Good link gtod....mirrors the advice I was given at a yanmar seminar. 10 microns is what you need for a 4JH according to Yanmar. 2 microns can be used for a bit but clogs too quickly....this is especially true for a new to you boat with unknown tank/fuel condition.
Old 06-27-2008

HenryTully is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
I changed my Racor primary fuel filter this past weekend. I didn't realize until I was in the middle of changing, but the previous owner used a 2 micron and I used a 30 micron. I figured that 30 was to be used in the primary, but I wanted to get other opinions.

The engine is the Yanmar 4JH and the secondary filter on the engine is 5 micron (I think).

I also have a Yanmar 4JH3E. (I had the same question years ago.) You are correct. You should use the 30 micron for the Racor. The engine has a YANMAR FUEL FILTER RATED FOR 2 micron.

H
Old 07-05-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Any chance I can jump in and ask how you go about sizing the appropriate 2 stage Racor system? I have a Volvo Penta 75hp turbo diesel. (TMD-22). Also, what's the level of difficulty for installing the unit?

When I install it, I'll certainly know not to use 2 micron filters.
Old 07-05-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
It is an interesting article, however, I have been using 2 micron racor filters in my boat for years. I change them annually and I have not had a problem. It seems to me that if the primary is 2 microns then the secondary can be as well. I note that the Yanmar primary filter is much smaller (less than half the size) and more expensive than the racor secondary filter. It would seem to me that, logically, the Yanmar would clog much more quickly if the racor let all the 2 - 10 micron garbage through. Changing the Yanmar also requires bleeding the engine and the racor doesn't.

I do see the issue with reduced fuel flow, but since my fuel tanks are above my engine, and provide a good deal of head pressure, that is not a problem for me. I guess a lot has to do with the location of the racor with respect to the fuel tanks, and the ease of changing the racor filter.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 07-05-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
We have used Racor Red 30 micron and blue 10 micron. I think Larry Berlin with Mack Boring (Yanmar dist) said use 30s. Haven't had any problems with either. I wouldn't use 2's based on everything I have heard before. Logically I would think it would work, but you would be more likely to clog sooner at an inopportune time. The 30 micron probably gets out enough of the gunk if you change the secondary filter enough.
Old 07-05-2008

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
I completed a trip from Annapolis to the Abacos and back this past winter. I bought fuel from many different sources. During the trip, I changed the 2 micron Racor three times.

The first time was after completing over 1200 miles of mostly motoring south on the ICW. There were no performance issues, I just wanted to change it before I crossed over to the Bahamas.

The two remaining changes were made after fueling a few times in the Bahamas. When engine performance dropped off indicated by decreased RPM, I made my second change. I made the third and last change in mid Florida again due to performance issues. I had no problems for the remaining 1000+ miles.

The issues I had were due in my humble opinion to the quality of the fuel taken on. Most marinas on the Chesapeake and the ICW sell a quality product, hence no problems. The issues that I did have would have clogged the 2 micron at the engine anyway. I did not see quick clogging of the Racor and would rather change it anytime.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.