Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-29-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
ummm, uhhh, the zip ties are a good idea, sting, anything to "pre install" is a good idea.
As far as pre-lube, i used to use vasoline, but ummm, uhhh, try one of those "personal" lubricants... very slippery.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Rather than the KY I prefer the built in lubrication and RUN DRY capability of the Globe brand impellers. Some people have had bad luck with them but most swear by them and they do compensate for the occasional lapse of memory at the through hull! Here's an excellent article on them AND how to change an impeller.
http://www.sailmag.com/boatworks/bw08.impeller.pdf
Old 06-29-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Rather than the KY I prefer the built in lubrication and RUN DRY capability of the Globe brand impellers.
Thanks for the hint, Cam. I'll have to look into this.

Quote:
Some people have had bad luck with them ...
What kind of "bad luck?"

Jim
Old 06-29-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Some claim premature failure..generally not the loss of a "wing" but rotation of the rubber on the center section. I have not found this issue and they do not degrade in the "rubber" part anywhere near as fast as the black ones. As they are so cheap, I always carry spares but have only had good experience and no need to replace as often as the black ones.
Old 06-29-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Some claim premature failure..generally not the loss of a "wing" but rotation of the rubber on the center section. I have not found this issue and they do not degrade in the "rubber" part anywhere near as fast as the black ones. As they are so cheap, I always carry spares but have only had good experience and no need to replace as often as the black ones.
I had two Globe impellers spin the hub on a Universal M-25. I went back to the regular impellers. In theory they are a great idea but after two spun hubs at the most inopportune times and I had no choice but to go back to regular impellers..

I change mine every year.. Five minutes and never a head ache..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-29-2008

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
Impeller Replacement

I will probably start a real argument, but on some motors the impeller shaft can be removed making replacement of the impeller much easier. My universal 18 is such a motor. Check the Universal web page at Torrenson (sp), Mechanics debunk many myths. You can remove the brass constrictor (not the correct term, but my info is on the boat) for ease of replacement as well. A hose clamp tightened down with the impeller center, and on the shaft, simply slide in and refit, replace constrictor. Oil a little replace gasket, and cover with a thin film of oil and replace cover. Get spare screws as these are easy to drop and become lost in the engine compartment.