SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Replacing Impeller (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44445-replacing-impeller.html)

ccriders 06-25-2008 04:30 PM

Replacing Impeller

Before I make a mess, what tool/technique is used to remove the impeller from an Atomic 4 water pump. I took the face plate off and expected to see some kind of retainer holding the impeller on the drive shaft, but there is nothing there. So how do I get a nondamaging hold on the old impeller and pull it off?

sailingdog 06-25-2008 04:33 PM

Needle nose pliers are a good choice. Pull straight out. :) Don't grab the vanes, but grip it across the hub. If you try grabbing the vanes, they may tear off. :)

ccriders 06-25-2008 04:42 PM

Thanks, I'll go try that.
John

rocinante33 06-25-2008 11:02 PM

As Dog described, but also take any old screwdriver and hold the shaft in at the center of the impeller, as you're pulling the impeller out. That way you won't pull the shaft out. My impeller on my former A4, as well as on my current diesel, had a circlip (circle clip) on the shaft holding the impeller in place. I never saw much function to the clip as the cover holds the impeller in place.

Cruisingdad 06-26-2008 10:10 AM

Dont forget to lubricate the impeller when reinstalling. Everyone has their preference. I use dish soap. You just need something to lubricate it until it gets enough water to cool itself. Maybe 10 seconds or so. If you don't you can burn it up or damage it.

- CD

erps 06-26-2008 11:10 AM

CD,

By the way, I rebuilt a spare water pump just a couple of nights ago. When putting in the new impellor, I tried a trick that I think you recommended a couple of months ago. I put a plastic zip tie around the impellor before sliding it in place. Worked like a charm.

Cruisingdad 06-26-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 333856)
CD,

By the way, I rebuilt a spare water pump just a couple of nights ago. When putting in the new impellor, I tried a trick that I think you recommended a couple of months ago. I put a plastic zip tie around the impellor before sliding it in place. Worked like a charm.

Sweet! You did take off the zip tie, didn't you?? HEHEH! Just kidding!!

- CD

erps 06-26-2008 11:19 AM

DOH!

I got a "message too short, must use at least ten characters" error message. Can anyone recommend ten characters?

Cruisingdad 06-26-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 333862)
DOH!

I got a "message too short, must use at least ten characters" error message. Can anyone recommend ten characters?

Sway Stinks.

sailingdog 06-26-2008 09:23 PM

You can use a piece of string or pretty much anything else... the zip ties work well, but are wasted IMHO, since you can't re-used them generally.
Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 333856)
CD,