SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   removing hoses (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44450-removing-hoses.html)

xort 06-25-2008 07:21 PM

removing hoses

I'm replacing old hoses of various types and pulling but keeping some others.

What are some good methods of removing hoses in general? Some hoses will be tossed so cutting them off is OK but some I'd like to re-use so I don't want to cut them.

As for installing hose, I've used hot water for plumbing hose but what about rubber fuel hose? That doesn't seem to respond to hot water like the plumbing hose.

rocinante33 06-25-2008 08:43 PM

Try a couple of drops of liquid dish soap for slipping it on. You could also try to heat it with a heat gun, but be careful because it is easy to apply too much heat with those.

timebandit 06-25-2008 08:49 PM

Try pushing them off as opposed to pulling if you can. A slight twist will help.

Spit is a good slipery body fluid. :eek:

Rick :cool:

sailingdog 06-25-2008 08:59 PM

Razor knife for hoses you don't care about. :) Fast, quick, dirty. Just be careful of the hose fittings, since the razor knife can eat the plastic ones as easily as the hose.

Hot water, dish soap, heat gun, and pushing help with the hoses you do want to save. Pulling on a hose makes it harder to take off...it's like a chinese finger trap... can't pull on it and get the damn thing to let go.

As for fuel hose, I'd probably be replacing it... that and the head aren't areas that you generally want to skimp on the hose. :)

hellosailor 06-25-2008 11:09 PM

If they are rubber, and were put on with soap? they may well be rotted in place. Slitting them with a razor knife, or slicing a piece off (slicing paralell to the hose surface so there's just a thin spot left on the fitting) to allow you to twist it free and then "unroll" it form the fitting, may work better than trying to pull it off. Expect some cleanup with metal wool may be necessary to get all the crud off.

merlin2375 06-25-2008 11:24 PM

A good pair of vice grips and a towel for those hoses that you want to re-use will go a long way. Put the towel on the hose then clamp down with the vice grips. A little bit of twisting to get it loose then pull it off.

jrd22 06-25-2008 11:26 PM

I've found a heat gun to be my best friend when it comes to removing and installing hoses. Keep it moving so you don't over heat one spot. Try to get a small flat screwdriver inside to break it loose if "glued" on. Hot water works too but very time consuming.

John

capngregg 06-26-2008 12:32 PM

There is a tool made specifically for breaking hoses loose from fittings once they have "cold-set" in place. It was first named for the automobile industry repair trade so the name implies that it is just for radiator hoses. The tool is called a "radiator hose removal tool". (AKA: Booger Hook)

There is a post in one of the threads on this site that shows a picture of the tool. I think it was shown in a "how to" step by step replacement of shaft seal packings. (stuffing box flax seals)

The tool comes in many sizes and has a few special bends in it's shaft with a pointy tip at the end- be careful.

Just about every auto parts store has them as does Walmart and all the hardware stores. The tool is very inexpensive and a handy addition to your on-board tool kit.

beej67 06-26-2008 01:04 PM

I always use a bit of spray silicone lubricant when putting hoses back on, if it's not potable water. Is there a problem with that?

chucklesR 06-26-2008 01:17 PM

Ive found that blood from skinned knuckles is good as a lubricant, but not as good as blood from a finger slashed trying to cut a hose.

I'm sure that didn't help much, so I'll leave you with a good tip: use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun -