Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-25-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
removing hoses

I'm replacing old hoses of various types and pulling but keeping some others.

What are some good methods of removing hoses in general? Some hoses will be tossed so cutting them off is OK but some I'd like to re-use so I don't want to cut them.

As for installing hose, I've used hot water for plumbing hose but what about rubber fuel hose? That doesn't seem to respond to hot water like the plumbing hose.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2008

rocinante33 is on a distinguished road
Try a couple of drops of liquid dish soap for slipping it on. You could also try to heat it with a heat gun, but be careful because it is easy to apply too much heat with those.
Channel Islands, California
Old 06-25-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Try pushing them off as opposed to pulling if you can. A slight twist will help.

Spit is a good slipery body fluid.

Rick
Old 06-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Razor knife for hoses you don't care about. Fast, quick, dirty. Just be careful of the hose fittings, since the razor knife can eat the plastic ones as easily as the hose.

Hot water, dish soap, heat gun, and pushing help with the hoses you do want to save. Pulling on a hose makes it harder to take off...it's like a chinese finger trap... can't pull on it and get the damn thing to let go.

As for fuel hose, I'd probably be replacing it... that and the head aren't areas that you generally want to skimp on the hose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-25-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If they are rubber, and were put on with soap? they may well be rotted in place. Slitting them with a razor knife, or slicing a piece off (slicing paralell to the hose surface so there's just a thin spot left on the fitting) to allow you to twist it free and then "unroll" it form the fitting, may work better than trying to pull it off. Expect some cleanup with metal wool may be necessary to get all the crud off.
Old 06-25-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
A good pair of vice grips and a towel for those hoses that you want to re-use will go a long way. Put the towel on the hose then clamp down with the vice grips. A little bit of twisting to get it loose then pull it off.
Old 06-25-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I've found a heat gun to be my best friend when it comes to removing and installing hoses. Keep it moving so you don't over heat one spot. Try to get a small flat screwdriver inside to break it loose if "glued" on. Hot water works too but very time consuming.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-26-2008
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
Cool

There is a tool made specifically for breaking hoses loose from fittings once they have "cold-set" in place. It was first named for the automobile industry repair trade so the name implies that it is just for radiator hoses. The tool is called a "radiator hose removal tool". (AKA: Booger Hook)

There is a post in one of the threads on this site that shows a picture of the tool. I think it was shown in a "how to" step by step replacement of shaft seal packings. (stuffing box flax seals)

The tool comes in many sizes and has a few special bends in it's shaft with a pointy tip at the end- be careful.

Just about every auto parts store has them as does Walmart and all the hardware stores. The tool is very inexpensive and a handy addition to your on-board tool kit.

Last edited by capngregg; 06-26-2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added word
Old 06-26-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
I always use a bit of spray silicone lubricant when putting hoses back on, if it's not potable water. Is there a problem with that?
Old 06-26-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Ive found that blood from skinned knuckles is good as a lubricant, but not as good as blood from a finger slashed trying to cut a hose.

I'm sure that didn't help much, so I'll leave you with a good tip: use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun -