Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-25-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Carbon fiber deck good counterpoise?

I'm about to install a SSB in a boat with a carbon fiber deck. I'm thinking my counterpoise is already in place, a good one too, but I don't feel like experimenting. Any experience out there??
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I doubt it... but no direct experience with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-25-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Howard, being mostly resin, I don't think carbon-fibre laminates are electrically conductive.

It would be easy enough for you to check by poking the probes of a multimeter set to ohms range into the laminate (let us know what happens!!) - but, no, I wouldn't think it was electrically all that much different to ordinary fibreglass.
Old 06-26-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure you're right...and will let someone else experiment.
Thanks to both.
hk
Old 06-26-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I know from experience that a carbon-fibre fuselage on a plane acts like a Faraday cage, so it must have some conductive properties.

Old 06-26-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Actually, Carbon Fiber is actually electrically conductive. But maybe not enough to act like a grounding plane for a SSB installation, it is however, used at times to bridge the copper plating to unlike metal (such as steel), but how it is done - I can't remember.

Ref article of general properties: Carbon Fibres and C-C Composites

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 06-26-2008

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
I think this is actually a good idea. Carbon fiber is generally a very good conductor.

You don't have much to loose. You can probably make electrical contact to it through some existing hardware bolt. You will need an antenna tuner anyway.

I'd be interested if you give it a try.
Old 06-26-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I know from experience that a carbon-fibre fuselage on a plane acts like a Faraday cage, so it must have some conductive properties.
To the best of my knowledge, there are no "plastic planes" approved for flight in the world today (yet!) - but there are several crowds working on it.

I'd love to be wrong. You have some personal experience with one???

Last edited by Classic30; 06-26-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While the carbon fiber may be electrically conductive, the binding epoxy is not. That means that you would probably not be using the whole deck but just whatever strands were in contact with the antenna connection. Probably not a good ground plane IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-27-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Yes, I happen to own and race a LS-6b glider, the cockpit and fuselage area behind the cockpit where the original radio antenna was installed is of various plastic components stiffened with a couple of layers of Kevlar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there are no "plastic planes" approved for flight in the world today (yet!) - but there are several crowds working on it.

I'd love to be wrong. You have some personal experience with one???