Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-27-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Wow, 73lbs seems to be a monster amount of weight on the bow, but I've enjoyed and heralded your advice on other topics, so I'm all ears. I was reeling about the weight of the 140' of 3/8" BBB chain rode, and 60' of 3/8' rope rode I currently carry in my bow locker. I'd love to find the magical equation that offers a light bow with superior holding power when needed.

I've considered the Rocna and Manson, but have also read the Sail Mag test, which I view as the most recent, (hopefully) unbiased and comprehensive view of all options. Being a Tech Guy, I like that kind of techy detail, but proof is in the... My stats are simple. 47' boat with 25k displacement needs suitable hook for Mexican Baja Peninsula. Oh, but also needs holding power wilst doing the Baja Bash (back to SF).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Rocna 4 U

Actually a Rocna 25 (25 kilos -55 pounnds) would probably be adequate. Of course there would be no harm in going to the next larger size. Because of it's burying characteristics I think U would need a winch 4 even the 25. I hope Dog has a winch 4 his 33 pound Rocna. I guess multihulls require more holding power despite their light displacement.
Old 06-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Rocna 25 is probably good enough, but a little bigger never hurts when it comes to an anchor. BTW, the reason I use a Rocna 15 KG is that I like to have my boat stay where I leave it. Multihulls do have a bit more windage than a monohull...so going up a size wasn't a bad idea. As for a windlass... Yes, I installed one last spring.... Got tired of hauling up 30' 5/16" chain, 33 lbs. of anchor and 30 lbs. of wet mud/sand/seaweed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXBOT View Post
Actually a Rocna 25 (25 kilos -55 pounnds) would probably be adequate. Of course there would be no harm in going to the next larger size. Because of it's burying characteristics I think U would need a winch 4 even the 25. I hope Dog has a winch 4 his 33 pound Rocna. I guess multihulls require more holding power despite their light displacement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Vitesse...the Bene's are fairly light and low profile. I would think the 55 will be plenty for your plans...especially given the increased holding power of the new designs. I used a 55 Delta cruising on a 25k lb. high windage 44 footer in all kinds of conditions and the new designs are an improvement over the Delta I think.
Old 06-27-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=camaraderie;334212]Vitesse...the Bene's are fairly light and low profileQUOTE]

Light, yes, low profile, no. the 473's have very high freeboard. Higher than any other Bene I've ever seen. That's what gives it the go fast sleek look over the 46 of old.

I'll do some more research on both the Rocna and the Delta, and will look for some options on Craig's list and elsewhere. 55lbs sounds more palatable than 73. With all that chain rode, there is a lot of weight on the bow already (though I am not one to skimp on such a critical item).
Old 06-27-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Vitesse...everhything is comparative...alongside my old Irwin44CC you would be low profile!!
Old 06-27-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re-galvanizing costs here in Seattle area are 40-60 cents/lb. At least they were two months ago when I had the chain done. If having a chain done you need to find a galvanizer that has a centrifuge, and the cost will be at the upper end. Very common to have anchors re-done around here. PM me for names if interested.

I want to put a Rocna 33 on the new boat but I find the shank is much longer than the 45 CQR that was on it and I don't have enough room between the roller and the chain stopper. Guess I'll have to modify the roller somehow.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-20-2011

pistoljr is on a distinguished road
Re-galvanize anchor versus Metalizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse473 View Post
Is it possible to grind a galvanized anchor down to its bare metal and refinish it? If so, what do you refinish it with to protect from rust?
Thermal spray with Zinc/Alum is a better process for refinishing an anchor. It is sand blasted to remove rust and then sprayed with with hot liquid Zn/Al
using a metalizing gun. The coating will last longer than galvanizing, and longer than a new anchor.

Regalvanizing uses a hot dip process that can melt the lead out of some anchors, not so with Metalizing now refered to as Thermal Spray.

Thermal Spray doesn't require minimum weight as most galvanizing shops do.

Chuck
Old 10-20-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I got my anchor re-galvanized for free a while back. That's because everything I design at my job gets galvanized! So they threw my anchor on the truck and I had it back in 3 days. My anchor was REALLY rusty. I beat the heavy rust off with the claw from a claw hammer. When they galvanize they first dip it in hot caustic, which strips all the oil, grease and organics like mold and slime. Then it goes in hot acid, which removes all the rust and prepares the surface. Finally it gets dipped in 800 degree molten zinc. IT came out very nice, I expect to use it for another 15 years or so.
You usually pay by the pound maybe 30 to 50 cents a pound, but most galvanizers havea minimum job that is quite a bit more. Find a user like us and get them to throw your anchor in with their load, and buy the guy a six pack.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 10-21-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Three year old thread. I think the Baha cruise/race is over.