SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Galvanized Anchor Refinishing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44456-galvanized-anchor-refinishing.html)

Vitesse473 06-26-2008 12:14 AM

Galvanized Anchor Refinishing

Is it possible to grind a galvanized anchor down to its bare metal and refinish it? If so, what do you refinish it with to protect from rust?

brak 06-26-2008 12:18 AM

but why? these old galvanized anchors are dime a dozen? I have two for sale at Bacons, that haven't sold in two years, they could be both had for like $20.

mazzy 06-26-2008 06:38 AM

Could be an interesting and inexpensive way to dress it up.

There's industrial galvanized metal primers suitable for an epoxy topcoating, which could be any color. Don't bother grinding away the galvanized. One brand I'm familiar with is Insl-X.

sailingdog 06-26-2008 07:40 AM

Vitesse-

If the anchor is in otherwise good shape, you can have it professionally regalvanized using a hot-dip galvanization process. This is far more durable than any spray coating. The company will prep the metal, removing the surface rust and re-galvanize the anchor.

However, it depends on what kind of anchor it is. Some of the smaller, older designs are probably not worth re-galvanizing, as getting a new one would be not much more money than getting it re-galvanized.

bubb2 06-26-2008 08:15 AM

CRC makes "instant galvanize" in a spray can.

sailingdog 06-26-2008 08:21 AM

The spray-on finishes are nowhere near as durable as hot-dip galvanization would be—especially given the equipment in question. Anchors get dragged and buried in sand, mud, gravel, rocks, etc. That kind of abuse requires a very durable coating, which spray-on coatings don't qualify as IMHO.

bubb2 06-26-2008 08:33 AM

I agree with you Dog, I do know guys that just had the tips of the flukes of their anchors starting to rust where the galvanize was worn away and the spray stuff touched it up nicely.

sailingdog 06-26-2008 08:39 AM

True... but this sounds a bit more extensive than that if he's looking at grinding the rust away. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubb2 (Post 333781)
I agree with you Dog, I do know guys that just had the tips of the flukes of their anchors starting to rust where the galvanize was worn away and the spray stuff touched it up nicely.

Vitesse473 06-26-2008 10:48 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. The anchor is a fortress style, 3' in length and about 50lbs. It's a major eye soar sitting on the bow, as it has rust spots and old dried up fused on algae splotches. I don't use it all that often, as most of the key locations we cruise too either have docks or moorings. However, we're heading south to Cabo in the '08 Ha Ha and then up to La Paz for the winter, so it will start to get used quite a bit.

Not to start another anchor opinion thread, but given my 25,000lbs displacement at 47', what are your suggested anchor types for the Baja peninsula specifically?

sailingdog 06-26-2008 09:21 PM

Vitesse-
I'd recommend getting a next generation anchor, like a Rocna or Manson Supreme. They have significantly better setting and holding characteristics than older anchors. A 33 kg model (72.6 lbs) would be a good choice for you.