SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yamaha 2.5 4 stroke issues

29K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  dvpamenter 
#1 ·
My 2004 Yamaha 2.5 4 stroke is having what I think are carb issues
(lo carb diet?)

After doing spring commisioning and testing last spring I loaned it to a friend last year as a kicker for his small sail boat and ultimately it got laid up without being used (read gas left in tank and carb for a year while laying in his basement).
I've drained the tank of the gummy gas, rinsed it with clean and refilled the tank. Drained all lines, drained the 'bowl' (really a tube) and cleaned it all out with carb cleaner and reinstalled the carb (and gasket).
The motor will start and run with starter fluid sprayed into the air intake, and will occasionally pop with no starter fluid - but will not continue running once you stop spraying starter fluid. I've worn deep blisters on the index fingers of both hands pulling the starter and beginning to give up.

It seems like it's a fuel flow problem. Yes the fuel shut off was open (and turned to closed as well just to make sure I did not reinstall it back wards).
I also tried to start it with the vent to the tank both closed, and open (normal).

I took it back apart and blew into the fuel intake housing (where the gas tube goes into the throttle body) and no air flow was apparent, but I'm not sure if that is a good measurement. In either case the results were the same.

Right now the entire carb is sitting in a can of gum-out soaking. I really don't want to have to dissemble the entire carb as I don't have a rebuild kit and don't know the adjustments etc.. I'd have to make.

Anyone got any tips, hints, tricks or tales?
(besides not loaning equipment to friends :)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.