Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-01-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I bought one of the cheap $150 12 volt coolers. Its in the dumpster at the boat yard if any one wants it. I would feel bad trying to sell it. what a wast of money.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2008

TRMN8R is on a distinguished road
I guess I better 'kick my Koolatron' to the curb tonight.......................
Old 07-02-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
pub911 you nailed it on the head. it would be nice to have a few cold ones sitting waiting for me. after all the responses i think i'm going to have to go with the marine fridge. now i know what to ask for christmas.
Old 12-10-2012
Soverel 30 MKIII

karenmroberts is on a distinguished road
Re: AC fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahab211 View Post
I've used an AC fridge and left frozen chemical ice packs in it when away from shore and a cheap inverter will work off your batteries in a pinch. For a hundred bucks it's a cheap fix.
Me, too! From one who can only afford old boats ... I've used Dorm frigs on two different boats and they never rusted. I'm sure if you submerged them in salt water they would but that's not likely and even if they did you're only out $100 bucks. I do not have the money for such luxuries. The only thing about dorm frigs is they need to have breathing room. They are not designed to have the backs enclosed so just be careful where they are stored. For a day sail, I just keep the door closed and never have a problem. Generally there are just drinks in the frig and nothing that will spoil over a day outing. Dual voltage frig means larger draw on house system and now upgrading battery banks, blah, blah, blah, the 'boat that Jack built'. Guess it comes down to what are you using the boat for and what's in your wallet???

Last edited by Faster; 12-10-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 12-10-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Installing refrigerator

I know there have been posts of people who tear apart a dorm fridge and put the guts into the ice box. Not the best solution but perhaps better than just bungee cording in a dorm cube fridge. By the way if you want to try this you have to make sure to get one with the coils on the back, not the ones with the smooth back. This way you keep the appearance up but get AC refrigeration. I think for many people who only day sail it is a good option.
Old 12-10-2012
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Paul, most little dorm type fridges the "coil" that used to be on the back is now bonded to the outer aluminum skin of the box. then it's all foamed in place with the inner box. the outer skin will feel warm when it's running. Only the evaporator and compressor are really worth removing. I was going to do that to my boats ice box but went with a new unit that was on sale at Defender marine.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

It seems like a whole lot of hassle to go through if you are just day sailing or even just weekending! We get by just fine with a good old fashioned ice box! If I want cold beer waiting for me on the boat I store it in a locker that is below the waterline against the hull so it is quite cool. Of course I drink good quality darker beers that don't have to be ice cold to taste good!

As much as it would be nice to have refrigeration on the boat, and I have the ability to install it myself, we always seem to find higher priority things to spend the money on when it comes to the boat!
Hull#101
Old 12-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Denise what did you wind up buying?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-10-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Paul, most little dorm type fridges the "coil" that used to be on the back is now bonded to the outer aluminum skin of the box. then it's all foamed in place with the inner box. the outer skin will feel warm when it's running. Only the evaporator and compressor are really worth removing. I was going to do that to my boats ice box but went with a new unit that was on sale at Defender marine.
Yea, that is why i mentioned it. It pretty much locks you into a Craig's list/Goodwill finds. I know one that I saw on line showed that he got the wrong kind originally and had to find one with coils on the back. I think that a proper system is better, but may well be out of many folks budget.

Last edited by miatapaul; 12-10-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2012

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

front opening fridges are not good for marine use. The above comments are correct for them and you cannot open the door when sailing, all the goods inside will fall down.