SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Salt and Fresh outboard for grandson sailboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44518-salt-fresh-outboard-grandson-sailboat.html)

landlockvasailor 06-28-2008 10:27 AM

Salt and Fresh outboard for grandson sailboat

I need to have the capacity to have an outboard for both salt and fresh. Knowing that flush will be needed on salt, which one, Yammie, Merc, Nissan, or Honda, are more apt to have less problems. This is for a grandson so I would like to have an opinion as to which one is more bullet proof for a teenager, I am sure you understand what I mean.

Thanks
Tom

Quickstep192 06-28-2008 10:52 AM

My boat has a Honda for going on ten plus years now with very little problem. I'm on the Chesapeake so you could debate whether that's salt or fresh, but it's never been flushed. I'm sure I've just jinxed myself.

In everything I've read, the Yamahas get high praise as well. The decision point for me would be which had the best local support. My local Honda dealer closed their doors a while ago and now I've got no one to go to for repairs that I'm either unable or unwilling to do. Same for parts. Even when I can do a repair or maintenence myself, I can't get the parts locally so I have to get them by mail whuich elongates my repair time.

cabron99 06-28-2008 04:07 PM

I have had a Merc 9.9 hp on my c27 for a couple of years. I'm sure the PO never flushed it, as soon after purchase, it quit squirting out the coolant. I'll save you most of the details that followed. The point being, using a standard "ear-muff" type flusher was not practical. That's why it never got flushed. Now I simply remove the engine cover, disconnect the rubber tube that transfers the coolant to the outside of the engine compartment, and slip on a properly sized tube, downsized from a water hose, with a shut of valve incorporated, and flush the system in reverse. Seems to work beautifully. Good luck. Pat O

TohatsuGuru 06-28-2008 09:23 PM

They are all equally as good. The Honda is the eldest design of the bunch, but lacks the power of the Tohatsu/Nissan\Mercury.

75R20 06-28-2008 09:46 PM

I have a Honda 7.5 that is 33 years old, and still starts on the very first pull. I put in a replacement set of points and plugs this year, and that is about it for maintenance with the exception of normal fluid changes. The points were original.

Kary

Banshi 06-29-2008 09:26 AM

I have a Honda 7.5 as well, bought used, cranks first or second pull everytime and purs like a kitten. There are some motors that are not meant to be put in salt water so do some research before you buy. I've owned a chrysler and evinrude in the past and really had no trouble with either. I think maintenance and proper use will give long life with most any of them.

landlockvasailor 06-29-2008 09:06 PM

Thanks to all for their input, it is appreciated