Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-31-2012

jcboyce is on a distinguished road
Re: Mariner Roller Furling

My posting on the Mariner roller furing was in responce to the posting one above my origenal posting concerning the instalation of an stored unit.

It was an attempt to express that they are rebuildable with the possible exception of the male spline mounted on the cable, at the top of the head stay. When the cable is replaced to avoid the enevitable cable breakage due to use in salt water sepage into the swedge sleave rusting out the cable, that leads to the mast either falling in the cockpit of coming close because the standing rigging kept it from falling. (Bases on one I watched in Ceritos channel in LA harbor where after the head stay gave way the opperators sat looking at the mast now 15' above their heads.

I'm sorry if you had difficulty under standing what I ment it was intended for the person who posted the original question. when you have been working on boats since you were 4 and in 40 years have ended up 5 docks from where you were then. look back at the developments, you may look back and find the method of comunicating has changed.
JC Boyce
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2013

Kokani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroluk View Post
I have mariner roller furling on both the headstay and forestay of my cutter. The stays do rotate and the sail furls around the stay. The sails have 3" webbing strops that go around the hank and velcro back to the sail to protect the cloth from the hanks. This is the furling system that Steve Dashew had and recommended on his first cruising sailboat, Intermezzo a 50 foot Tripp designed Columbia. My boat is a 40-footer and I have cruised over 25,000 miles of blue water in the South and West Pacific. It is true that you don't get quite the same consistent furl as with a foil and in strong winds the foot and head will star to furl a little earlier than the middle of the luff but this never presented any problems. The Mariner system has some nice advantages. First, all the parts are very simple to make in any machine shop with the exception of the bearings which are standard aircraft bearings and available at any bearing shop. Second, since the sails are hanked on, if you have to take them down in heavy conditions, the sail stays under control as it comes down and can't get away from you like a taped luff sail can. If I were to buy a boat with a Mariner furler on it I would not chuck it for something else.
Hi i discovered that the roller i have on my boat is a mariner and also discovered its discontinued, i have used with no mayor problems applying wd 40 to the hex bearing but would like to have some info to make a major service for the complete system, since it has 20 years on the boat. the good thing is that it still works.

I saw the posts on the subject explainig that its fully serviceable and spare parts may be still available but if you have any information on how to do regular service and lubbing it will be very helpfull, I have the advantage that since its a small Macgregor 26 Classic I can lower the mast with ease to service parts.

My first concern is the upper bearing for the stay.

Best Regards
Old 02-06-2013

jcboyce is on a distinguished road

I rebuilt the lower hub, replacing the bearings, which I got from Irvine Bearing. I think it was classified as a permenantly lubricated bearing off of an air craft. There should be a bearing number on it.
The upper bearing I have not done, but assume it to be the same store.
The hard part will be finding the top swedge for the Cable, which is slined to line up the shackles of the jib.

JCBoyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokani View Post
Hi i discovered that the roller i have on my boat is a mariner and also discovered its discontinued, i have used with no mayor problems applying wd 40 to the hex bearing but would like to have some info to make a major service for the complete system, since it has 20 years on the boat. the good thing is that it still works.

I saw the posts on the subject explainig that its fully serviceable and spare parts may be still available but if you have any information on how to do regular service and lubbing it will be very helpfull, I have the advantage that since its a small Macgregor 26 Classic I can lower the mast with ease to service parts.

My first concern is the upper bearing for the stay.

Best Regards