Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-27-2002

jkoutras is on a distinguished road
Mariner Roller Furling

Wondering if anybody out there has experience with Mariner Roller Furling. They are a pretty old furling system that takes hanked-on sails but the forstay rotates. I have the opportunity to buy this systems used, looks interesting, don''t know if folks have +/- experience with it.

thanks, J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2009

videoarizona is on a distinguished road
Mariner roller furling

I don't believe the forstay rotates, rather, the sail rotates around the forstay. I could be wrong!

I have one in my backyard. Just got it with a boat I bought. You can Google Mariner roller furling and print out the pdf file showing how it connects, etc.

It looks like a simple system to maintain.....and use.

David
Old 09-06-2010

TSander is on a distinguished road
I have a 40' Yorktown with a Mariner furler on the jib. The jib is hanked onto the forstay. That's a problem. In a calm wind works great. With a 10-15 knot breeze the bottom half of the jib rolls and knots up and the top half flakes out into the breeze with the whole mess then being in a big knot if you pull hard enough on roller line. I have lived with the mess for last time! Just got back from San Fransico bay. Going to replace the system asap.
Old 04-05-2011

JamesReuber is on a distinguished road
Mariner Roller furling

Have been using Mariner roller furling since 2000 on my Santana 27.....good but must keep furling line a bit taut or it falls off and gets caught under the spool. Also upper cam needs regular maintenance or dries and sail won't unfurl. Have a bit of a corrosion problem on the alloy part on the top part of the spool. Would realy like to find a replacement Mariner unit or at least the alloy part on the top of the spool.

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-12-2011

Waiehu is on a distinguished road
Mariner Furler Parts?

Aloha Jim,

Just read your post on the Mariner furler you have been using on your Santana. I bought one some time back and was looking at finally installling it but I am misssing the halyard swivel. Have you found any source for parts on these? Tried to send you a personal note but since I just joined, guess I need to post

mahalo,

Steve
Old 12-09-2011

jcboyce is on a distinguished road
The head stay rotats if it is working correctly, the lower bearings in mine were bad, I pulled it apart and got the bearings from a company that moved to Irvine that sold Air Craft Bearings, They may no list them as a Mariner Part.
I have not hat to replace the upper bearing but the top of the rolling cable is splined and the eye for the halyard locks on it so when it rotates,
If the cable is the wrong size I have not tried to get the sweged on cable ends for one but that would be the pivit point for me.
I could have bought the drum & top bearing but both were frozen so as of yet I'm still waiting.
Also the top swedge makes the usable head stay shorter by about 10 " in my case. A new drifter came with my boat but it no longer fits.
Boyce
Old 12-09-2011

Waiehu is on a distinguished road
Aloha Boyce,
not clear on your post, are you using the mariner furler? I have the bottom drum and upper bearing, but am missing the middle splined part with the eye. looking either to buy what I am missing or sell what I have. Any interest in buyng or selling?

cheers,

Waiehu
Old 02-12-2012

jamesnewsome is on a distinguished road
There is a Mariner Roller Furler listed on Ebay if you're interested.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Also, found this photo on the web.

http://www.longpassages.org/Document...20Brochure.pdf

Not sure how well this thing will work. Probably more practical on a smaller boat. I believe someone said that it tends to roll up the bottom half of the sail fairly well, but the top half not so well.

I guess if you can buy it cheap enough it's worth a try.
Old 02-13-2012

SaltyHog is on a distinguished road
I have 2 Mariner furling units on my Bayfield 32 (cutter). They work well if maintained. Everything can be dissembled, cleaned, and lubricated. I just use boat trailer wheel bearing grease. I can see where they might have a problem on a long luff, but on my 32, no problems. A nice system that allows easy sail changes *and* furling (but not reefing).
Steve Dashew had (and still has) good things to say about them. Hope it helps.
Old 08-30-2012

Oroluk is on a distinguished road
Re: Mariner Roller Furling

I have mariner roller furling on both the headstay and forestay of my cutter. The stays do rotate and the sail furls around the stay. The sails have 3" webbing strops that go around the hank and velcro back to the sail to protect the cloth from the hanks. This is the furling system that Steve Dashew had and recommended on his first cruising sailboat, Intermezzo a 50 foot Tripp designed Columbia. My boat is a 40-footer and I have cruised over 25,000 miles of blue water in the South and West Pacific. It is true that you don't get quite the same consistent furl as with a foil and in strong winds the foot and head will star to furl a little earlier than the middle of the luff but this never presented any problems. The Mariner system has some nice advantages. First, all the parts are very simple to make in any machine shop with the exception of the bearings which are standard aircraft bearings and available at any bearing shop. Second, since the sails are hanked on, if you have to take them down in heavy conditions, the sail stays under control as it comes down and can't get away from you like a taped luff sail can. If I were to buy a boat with a Mariner furler on it I would not chuck it for something else.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.