SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Nautilus Spiral Grid Battery? any good?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Cruisingdad 
#1 ·
Do any of you have experience with this type of battery?
Canadian Tire

I have a Honda 8.9 ish 4 stroke with an alienator, would it charge it at the speed claimed or do you need a special charger? For those of you who use them are they a big improvement over a regular deep cycle?

#2 ·
It looks to me just like an Optima, but I have no researched it. I use an optima persionally for a backup start battery on my generator. It does require a different charge regeiment (as a warning).

If this is an optima knock-off, you should be aware of that. You will like the fact that it has almost no self-discharge though. A nice feature if you have long intervals between use.

- CD

#3 ·
You probably have a Honda 9.9 with a magneto, if it's an outboard. I have a Harley AGM deep cycle that I use for nav lights in my Zodiac that is powered from this, and I have been quite happy with it. It is about the size of two bricks and is bungeed to the fuel tank. A pair of 12 ga wires with an inline fuse charges the battery, and I don't charge when I'm going full out, because the magneto produces more voltage (about 20 VDC) than I am convinced is good for the battery.

It gives me a red-green at the bow and a white stern light on a stick for two or three hours with the engine off. With the engine on, I can run a small spotlight to show logs and branches ahead of me when I bomb around in the middle of the night south of Toronto Island. Yes, my insomnia cures are many and odd.

The best part is that the AGM is light enough to haul home on a bicycle, where a monthly session on a trickle charger keeps it happy all winter.

#4 ·
You probably have a Honda 9.9 with a magneto, if it's an outboard. I have a Harley AGM deep cycle that I use for nav lights in my Zodiac that is powered from this, and I have been quite happy with it. It is about the size of two bricks and is bungeed to the fuel tank. A pair of 12 ga wires with an inline fuse charges the battery, and I don't charge when I'm going full out, because the magneto produces more voltage (about 20 VDC) than I am convinced is good for the battery.

It gives me a red-green at the bow and a white stern light on a stick for two or three hours with the engine off. With the engine on, I can run a small spotlight to show logs and branches ahead of me when I bomb around in the middle of the night south of Toronto Island. Yes, my insomnia cures are many and odd.

The best part is that the AGM is light enough to haul home on a bicycle, where a monthly session on a trickle charger keeps it happy all winter.
Is that battery an Optima knock-off? Just curious if they make it or if it is made for them.

- CD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.