SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   receive no transmit (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44572-receive-no-transmit.html)

jdair101 06-30-2008 08:14 PM

receive no transmit

Hi All
Ok- over the winter I installed a new Standard Horizion QuestX 1500. I liked the idea of the distress mode when hooked to the chart plotter. Most of my sailing is close to the marina racing so 99% of the time I just use my hand held and only use the base when rigging listening to weather reports.
This past weekend our club race was across georgian bay so I figured the base radio would be best due to the distance the boats were appart.
That is when I discovered that I can't transmit. The tx light comes on on the display but there is nothing going out over the airways.
I did check the connections at the base of the mast and the radio and they look ok. The antenna was new last year so I don't think it's that.
Anyone got any ideas--- could it be the antenna leads even thought it receives ok????
I did e-mail Standard today but it could take 72 hours for them to respond.

ANY IDEAS???????????

Thanks

artbyjody 06-30-2008 08:19 PM

Did you make sure the handset / mic is actually properly tightened in? (been there done that)...

sailingdog 06-30-2008 08:33 PM

It could also be a problem with the antenna cable. Check the antenna connection with a SWR meter.

camaraderie 06-30-2008 09:50 PM

Buy a small emergency antenna (which you should have anyway) and try transmitting with it. If it works, the problem is in the antenna or cable and LIKELY a corrosion problem in the fitting at the top of the mast.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...2008_156763829
P.S. There's one recently listed for sale in classifieds for asking price of $30!
http://www.sailnet.com/classifieds/s...&sort=1&cat=11

negrini 06-30-2008 11:07 PM

Well, could be your VHF too. There is no straight/obvious answer. You should approach the problem in parts, and I suggest going from down to top (your mast). First, check your antenna connection for some "resistive load", so in case your antenna circuit is open, you don't fry your VHF output, during the diagnose. Best would be a SWR, but a patch antenna would help you eliminate your radio guess, or bringing it to a friend's boat. Unfortunately, majority of problems in VHF resides on the top of your mast ....

SEMIJim 07-01-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdair101 (Post 335512)
Hi All
Ok- over the winter I installed a new Standard Horizion QuestX 1500. I liked the idea of the distress mode when hooked to the chart plotter.

I'm hoping to get either that radio, or an Icom 402 or 422 for that reason, and because each of those supports a RAM, so we would be able to use the radio from the cockpit.

Quote:

That is when I discovered that I can't transmit. The tx light comes on on the display but there is nothing going out over the airways.

Well we know the PTT (push-to-talk) circuit is working, at least.

Quote:

The antenna was new last year so I don't think it's that.

Did you test it with the old radio after replacing the antenna? Did you test it with the old radio just before replacing it?

Next time: Suggest you test a new installation as soon as possible after completing the installation, rather than waiting until you need it or want to use it.

Quote:

Anyone got any ideas--- could it be the antenna leads even thought it receives ok????

How do you know you can receive "ok?" You're hearing more than hiss? Is your 1500 receiving better than your hand-held? (It should be.)

Quote:

I did e-mail Standard today but it could take 72 hours for them to respond.

I don't think they're going to be able to help you much from what you've described. I could be wrong...

Second the earlier suggestion of an emergency backup antenna. You should have one, anyway, for, you know, emergencies :). And they make a handy test/debug tool.

Maybe you have a friend that has an SWR bridge? (Also called an "SWR meter.") If you're really lucky, and have a Ham Radio friend that uses VHF, maybe even somebody that has both an SWR bridge and a low-power dummy load. A plain old multimeter may be able to tell you something about your coax and antenna, but you'll almost certainly have to go up the mast (I'm assuming a masthead antenna) to do that.

This looks like a decent article on the whole thing: VHF Marine Antenna Fundamentals.

Jim

Vasco 07-01-2008 09:30 AM

This might sound strange but does your vhf have a "hail" or "loudhailer" function. I had a King vhf that had this function and once in a while I'd press that function button by mistake and, not having any loudspeaker hitched up, nothing would happen when I talked. The first time it happened I even went up the mast to check the antenna. A friend had the same unit and thought I was a genius when I fixed his "non-transmitting" vhf. Of course he'd pressed the hail button inadvertently. Anther thing to look for is an "intercom" function. That might be on.

SEMIJim 07-01-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 335672)
This might sound strange but does your vhf have a "hail" or "loudhailer" function.

Quick thinking there, Vasco :). The Standard Horizon Quest-X 1500 doesn't appear to have a hailer, tho. (Much to my surprise.)

Jim

jdair101 07-01-2008 11:25 PM

Ok== today I picked up an emergency antenna and guess what-- I can both receive and transmit. Before I made the purchace I checked the wiring from the radio to the base of the mast and it was ok. Next I checked for resistance at the base of the mast and it was open. I guess it is either the cable in the mast,the connection,or the antenna. So I guess up the mast I go.
Thanks for the help guys.
P.S. after figureing that out today I went and did my first single handed attempt at flying the spin. What a blast that was.

Jim

negrini 07-02-2008 12:04 AM

Sorry to hear that :( It will be, most likely your upmast connection to the antenna in case you have a connector up there.

But very good you flew your spi :) . When I singlehand it, I just point my boat offwind, engage my autopilot and adjust engine for a 1-2 knots of apparent wind (well, suposing its not blowing that hard, what I wouldn't fly it anyway). Once its done, just quit the engine and the thing grows !! Agree with you, what a blast .....:)