SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Holding Tank Leak :( (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44585-holding-tank-leak.html)

rjg23 07-01-2008 08:30 AM

Holding Tank Leak :(

My polyethylene holding tank has a very slow (thankfully) leak where the fitting for discharge is inserted. PO had macerator connected directly to HT. I think the weight of the non-supported macerator might have ruined the seal. I have tried caulking to no avail.

Anyone have serious remedies for this? Non serious are welcome as long as they include something helpful. Is it possible to "weld" the plastic fitting to the holding tank or is it best to start over?

Thanks

sailingdog 07-01-2008 09:20 AM

It would help if you said what the holding tank was made of. One possible solution is to use "Creeping Crack filler" sealant, as it might do the job without re-building.

badsanta 07-01-2008 02:48 PM

tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjg23 (Post 335649)
My polyethylene holding tank has a very slow (thankfully) leak

I think you will have to remove it to get a good look. You say you caulked? did you remove the connection and use tape dope or something on the threads?? just squrting something around the out side will NOT work. If the tank fitting is cracked you will probly have to replace it.(the tank) If you can get it out it may be self evident. You may be able to get a hole relocation kit. seal the old hole and start a new, but I would be concerned with all the extra posable leaks. When I did mine, I found several grades of plastic tanks. I would suggest you get the heavest on that will fit. Thicker also seals the oders better, I am told. Good luck

wchevron 07-01-2008 04:06 PM

i think if the fitting is cracked, your out of luck. if you have the room and it's on the top, you could cut out the fitting and install an inspection plate in it's place. then get a hole relocation kit for a new discharge hole. if you end up getting a new holding tank, call ronco-plastics.com. they have about 200 different sizes and you can specify where you want all of your holes plus their tanks are pretty thick.

ericroline 07-05-2008 10:37 AM

The best is to replace, in the short term a couple options.
Clean outside of tank scuff area and dry, 3M 4000, or even 5200 (the evil stuff) place a patch over the area.
If the discharge is not under fluid level:Relocate with an inspection plate and new through hole...
I could not find a regular poly tank to fit my application, so I made on from fiberglass and epoxy resin. 12 layers of glass, 3/8 to 1/2 thick. All access holes are in the top. SO far so good.

btrayfors 07-05-2008 10:46 AM

I'd contact a reputable manufacturer of polyethylene tanks and ask them.

One of the best, and the supplier of SeaLand and many other holding tanks, is Ronco Plastics. They're a great resource:
Marine Catalog

Bill