Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-03-2008

dawnhoff is on a distinguished road
Cutting a hole in the deck

I need to cut a 3 1/4" hole in the deck of my Venture 21 for for a solar vent. Any sugestions on the best way to cut the hole?

" It seemed like a good idea at the time..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You could use something like this. Or you could scribe it and use a jig saw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-03-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhoff View Post
I need to cut a 3 1/4" hole in the deck of my Venture 21 for for a solar vent. Any sugestions on the best way to cut the hole?
Assuming you will cut through core material, be sure to seal the edges of the hole to protect the core material, or you'll have a soft deck in no time.

"Seal" - chip out a 1/2 inch of core all around the hole, then fill the area opened with a mix of West epoxy/collidial silica.
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, pot the holes for the bolts. The holes should be drilled oversized and filled with thickened epoxy as well, and then counter-sink the top edges of all the holes, those for the fasteners and for the vent fan itself, so that the sealant has a place to form an o-ring when you tighten the bolts down.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-03-2008

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I would use a hole saw like the one shown here . Run it backward at first to get started; that will prevent it from digging in. New hole saws are very sharp and the sharp teeth can dig in, grabbing the material and either chip it badly, twist the heck out of your wrist or both. If you can reach the underside, go halfway through from the top and finish it off from the underside. That will help prevent it from chipping out. If your deck is cored, follow the sage advice above. In fact, if it were me and the deck was cored, I'd think real hard about how much I wanted that vent.
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

i don't think they make a standard hole saw in that diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I would use a hole saw like the one shown here . Run it backward at first to get started; that will prevent it from digging in. New hole saws are very sharp and the sharp teeth can dig in, grabbing the material and either chip it badly, twist the heck out of your wrist or both. If you can reach the underside, go halfway through from the top and finish it off from the underside. That will help prevent it from chipping out. If your deck is cored, follow the sage advice above. In fact, if it were me and the deck was cored, I'd think real hard about how much I wanted that vent.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-03-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Drill a small hole through the deck and then use a jig saw with the finest tooth blade you can find. It's not a bad idea to find the center of your hole and then cover the deck with masking tape. Then scribe your hole's outline on the tape and cut away. The tape will minimize chipping around the edges. Also make sure that your jig saw blade is squarely aligned in it. Test it on a piece of wood of approximately the same thickness of your deck. Most jig saws are adjustable and most are not square even when the guage says zero degrees. You don't want to cut a tapered hole!

A hole saw, if you can find one (try a commercial supply house), will do the job fine but I strongly recommend the two cut process mentioned above. The hole saw will be kind of expensive for just a one time use. And the above poster was not lying about the amount of torque it'll put on your wrist!
Old 07-03-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I cut the hole in my plexeglass hatch, I did not want to do the deck. At the worst I figured I could replace the hatch easer if I messed up. Works great.
Old 07-04-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Solar vent

Agree with santa but don't think 21 foot venture has a hatch besides companionway. But if main reason 4 vent is 4 when u r away from boat could u put in companionway hatch?
Old 07-04-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I wonder is it worth it, for a solar vent?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.