Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-04-2008
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Water filter with manual pump faucet?

Hi,

I am in the process of re-doing the fresh water plumbing on my boat, just about done, need to get finished fast, as we leave in the 5th for 2 weeks in the San Juans! Yay! Longest trip yet for us, I am soooooo excited!

Anyway, I was down at WM today looking at stuff and was looking at a water filter. We do not have one currently, but I would like to add one. I have no pressure water system, manual pump sinks only. Can manual pump faucets draw water through a standard filter OK or do I need to look for a special type. The boxes where no help, and the clerks where not sure.

Thanks!
Bryan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't recommend using an in-line filter for a non-pressurized fresh water system. Use an external filter, like a Brita Water Pitcher instead.

Most manual pumps won't do will considering the pressure required to pull water through the filter. The filters are really designed for PRESSURE water system to PUSH water through them, not for small manual pumps to try and PULL water through them. Most pumps don't like to pull water against much resistance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-04-2008

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I wouldn't recommend using an in-line filter for a non-pressurized fresh water system. Use an external filter, like a Brita Water Pitcher instead.

Most manual pumps won't do will considering the pressure required to pull water through the filter. The filters are really designed for PRESSURE water system to PUSH water through them, not for small manual pumps to try and PULL water through them. Most pumps don't like to pull water against much resistance.
We installed a SeaGull filter downstream (i.e. under pressure) of our freshwater footpump in the galley and that works OK.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 07-04-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Garbage In Garbage Out

the water at my marina is , well, nasty. high iron and sulphur well water. i can't use it untreated to wash my boat or fill my tank.
they have a 'portable' filter on a dolly, it weighs about 125 lbs, and is always in the farthest part of the marina (murphy's law and all)
so i decided to build my own portable system, figuring if the water was good coming out of the nozzle, i was better off.
i approached a number of places, hardware, building supply and dedicated water treatment system dealers for ideas, none were of any help. i wanted the system to be portable, but didn't want to have a bracket fabricated for the cost alone. after a few days of looking at the problem i came up w/ this system. i am using my horseshoe buoy bracket to hold the dual filters in place. the primary allows me to see sediment and change the filter as needed, and the secondary uses a charcoal filter to help make the water more palatable.when not in use, it stows nicely in my lazarette.
i also bleached the bejeezus out of my water tank and drained and filled several times.
the system cost less than $100 to put together. (w/ extra filters too).
as i see it, you can now use a simple under sink filter and be good to go.

Image of filtration system - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII

Last edited by sanctuarysam; 07-04-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: title change
Old 07-04-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
I don't like to drink "tank" water if possible, but if necessary and if that is your intention, I carry a "first need" water purifier. simple to use, cheap, pretty efficient. no iodine etc. please see attached links for differences between a filter and a purifier.
Expert Advice: How to Choose a Water Filter or Purifier
water filters / Water Purifiers at REI.com | 100% Satisfaction Guarantee | Customer Reviews
Old 07-04-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
I don't like to drink "tank" water if possible, but if necessary and if that is your intention, I carry a "first need" water purifier. simple to use, cheap, pretty efficient. no iodine etc. please see attached links for differences between a filter and a purifier.
Expert Advice: How to Choose a Water Filter or Purifier
water filters / Water Purifiers at REI.com | 100% Satisfaction Guarantee | Customer Reviews
i agree, however, for these folk, they appear to have no other solution.
as for me, it is more about not having an "orange" deck from the iron oxide, than drinking the stuff.
like i said, G.I.G.O.
happy 4th all...
read the declaration of independence today, if you haven't recently (or ever)

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 12-23-2009

PeteSpencer is on a distinguished road
For as long as it has the essential parts, it's ok to use.

Old 12-24-2009
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
In my Santana525 with a 10 gallon fresh water tank:
I installed a 1/2 size carbon filter inline after the 12 volt water pump. I treat the water with bleach to control the bugs and use the carbon filter to rid the bleach smell. Its worked for over 12 yrs....
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan