Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-04-2008

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
Boat Stands the hard way

I don't have any stands, so when I start on the bottom, will need to lower the trailer's rails one side at a time. Looking at placing 5/8 plywood with a 2'10' backer parallel to the rails and using there two ton Hydraulicjacks on a three squared railroad ties platforms spaced evenly.

I would appreciate any feedback to the plan, given I have used stands in the past at yards and this is a new task in my drivway.

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-06-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Maybe instead just put some timbers atwartships under the stern and jack her up that way. Lower her back down, or not, and then jack up the bow. You can jack on the line of the keel, fore or aft, and then slide a timber under supported by cement blocks.
Old 07-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Remember to put the cinderblocks so the holes are vertical... they don't support as much weight safely if the holes are horizontal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2008

Thanks to both of you for suggestions.
Old 07-08-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
Jack up the stern by lowering the trailer tongue as low as it will go. Block the back of the boat up. Then jack up the bow by raising the trailer tongue as high as you need to. If you've got a long enough, strong enough beam, you can block it up under the bow and then pull the trailer out. Alternatively, you block up the bow with a stack of blocks, pull the trailer forward until a trailer cross-beam runs up to the blocks, then build a block stack behind the trailer cross-beam, transfer the load from the front blocks to the back blocks, take down the front blocks, pull the trailer forward again, build up the front block stack again, etc... Reverse the process to get the trailer back under the boat once you've done the work you need to do.

I've done it with a San Juan 21...

, a new voice for ocean conservation
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2008

Thank you Catamount
Old 01-28-2009

SHays is on a distinguished road
so, I am trying to understand...you are going to jack up the boat just enough to do a bottom paint job? I hope you can post some pictures of how i goes. I will need to do the same thing on my trailer sailboat... So will you jack up the back end, paint what you can... lower that, jack up the front, paint what you can, and finally paint over the places where you jacked up the boat? Keeping the boat fairly stable the whole time? trying to understand since I have to do the same thing soon on a new trailer sailing boat