Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-05-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Raritan Raw Water Strainer's

Quote:
The Raritan Raw Water Strainer's high capacity filter is easily visible through the clear, high strength body. Accumulated debris can be easily cleared from the removable filter basket, ensuring clean intake water. The Raw Water Strainer's clear, high strength plastic body makes debris easily visible for efficient detection and removal from the filter. This economical solution offers a trouble-free installation that protects such equipment as engine cooling systems, marine toilets and other accessories that use intake water.

Plumbing connections are 1- 1/2" FNPT. Reducing bushings and adapters allow flexibility in installations.
I was thinking of replacing an old brass and glass strainer with one of thease...any body have experience with them?
Attached Thumbnails
Raritan Raw Water Strainer's-raritan-raw-water-strainer.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think the bronze ones are more durable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Ya....Im not to keen on the sch 40 couplers shown ...but some of that high strength plastic is darn neer bullet proof...was wondering if this was the case here.
Old 07-06-2008

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
I switched to this strainer several years ago. Replacing the stainless/monel filter baskets was breaking me. For me the metal units were definitely not as durable. I have been very happy with the unit until I broke off one of the mounting ears while working on the boat. My own stupidity, but it cost me a new strainer.
Old 07-06-2008
Older Junior Member

lsusailing is on a distinguished road
Raritan Raw Water Strainer's

This is way to strange, I just finished taking my similar Raritan apart for cleaning. It has been on the boat 10-15 years; bullet proof plastic. It does not do much since it just filters the water between the seacock and the engine so it should last a long time. I think they are around 100 bucks so reasonable. Easy to clean. The brass ones I must confess look really nice but not sure if you are getting much more for a bunch of money. Just my opinion.
John
s/v Daphne
Old 07-07-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
What are you using it for? I bought one when I got a Raritan head and found it way too big for that application.
Old 07-07-2008

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
It is the main cooling water intake for the propulsion engine - a Westerbeke 4107
Old 07-07-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I kept going through the stainless baskets and bought polyethylene baskets by Groco that I hope will last longer. They were cheaper than the stainless baskets.
Old 07-07-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Maybe that thing's bigger than it looks? What are the dimensions? Maybe that screen is finer than it looks, but I'm wondering if it's fine enough to stop most silt you might suck up from a shallow, muddy river/creek/canal bottom?

We need a strainer, particularly in our sometimes-shallow, muddy-bottomed canal.

Hmmm... From http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...r_strainer.pdf
Quote:
WINTERIZATION
Close seacocks, drain water completely. Do not add anti-freeze compounds, they will cause deterioration of the plastic, causing it to crack.
But maybe not this one.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-07-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Added note on antifreeze from mfgr's PDF
Old 07-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SEMIJim-

A strainer isn't designed to stop mud or silt. It's designed to stop weeds and such. Your primary fuel filter, usually a 30 micron, is supposed to stop the silt and such. Your secondary fuel filter, usually a 5 micron, is supposed to catch the rest of the crud.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.