Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post

Brak, where are you located? If you aren't too far away I'll sail or drive up and we can play and find something that works for you. I'm in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay.

Something does sound odd, but you have a good boat so we all should be able to help you get in and out of your slip without undue stress.

sail fast, dave
I am in Solomons, MD - if you are ever in the area, drop me a note and come by
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
BTW. another curious handling effect is that when I am moving under power at high speed (6-7 kts), turning to stbd is much harder than turning to port (and it means there is REALLY something that makes a difference, as usually hydraulic steering has 0 feedback). Under sail at the same speed - no such effect, both sides are equal. Must be something about how prop wash is hitting the rudder.
Sure sounds like a right hand screw. By "harder turning to stbd" I assume you mean not as effective turning moment. Any chance the screw is offset on that particular boat?
Old 07-10-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Sure sounds like a right hand screw. By "harder turning to stbd" I assume you mean not as effective turning moment. Any chance the screw is offset on that particular boat?
What direction of the screwing is nearly not as important as the direction of the actual screw afterwards...resul;ts are the same I think..

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-10-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Thats just plain screwy ...
Old 07-10-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"Harder turning" means I have to exert more effort when turning the wheel to stbd. - which means there is more force operating on the rudder, that I have to counteract. Much more - hydraulic usually lacks any feedback - when sailing it is absolutely not possible to tell what the rudder is doing other than by looking at the autopilot rudder indicator or waiting for the turn to occur, and check visually.

The prop is dead on center, comes right out of the middle of the rear portion of keel, sits in an aperture between the keel and the rudder.

Well, guess it's right hand all right. I wonder why the thing turns the wrong way, then. It's a mistery in its own right
Old 07-10-2008
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Dave,
I can understand your concern about hydrodynamics in a sailing vessel and the effects of a bow thruster tunnel on them but as someone who went to a school not too far from Webb, Kings Point, I'd be most interested in hearing about any merchant vessels with bow thruster doors, having never encountered a one in twenty years at sea. Grating to prevent lines and debri from being ingested yes, doors no.
You're going to make me blow rust off that part of my brain aren't you? My library is all in storage. I think the SL-7s all had doors. I think most of the ULCCs I came across did also. Certainly the MSC ships I worked on all did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
I am in Solomons, MD - if you are ever in the area, drop me a note and come by
I might be through in late July or early August depending on wind and a business trip. I usually anchor up by the Holiday Inn so I can visit friends and walk to Woodburns.