Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-07-2008
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
My depth sounder just died this weekend

The monitor turns on but displays two dashes, no depth numbers. How can I tell which piece of the system has failed???

(I know it's not growth on the transducer)

who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
I had the same thing happen on my DS30 (looks exactly like the DS35 in the first post). I traced the wires and found electrical tape. Suspicious. I unwrapped and found TINFOIL wrapped around each wire. I'm not sure but I'm guessing that was my problem.... The wires had been severed and twised together and actually worked, for a while, with the tinfoil and e-tape setup. When did it fail you ask? When the engine died and we were trying to sail in an anchor in 3kts of wind in an unfamiliar cove, of course!

What am I saying? I haven't a clue.
You could check the wires for something equally as obvious...
Also, since that's what mine did and it was a transducer problem your likely is too. Also, disconnect the transducer and see if it continues to display 2 dashes. I'm guessing it is working correctly and 2 dashes IS what it's supposed to display when it doesn't get a signal. You could also check online for a manual. Two dashes could mean something specific, like "no signal"

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 07-07-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First, you shouldn't hijack Halekai's thread. Second, you should probably say what make/model instruments you have. GARBAGE IN -===> GARBAGE OUT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulesailor View Post
My depth sounder just died this weekend

The monitor turns on but displays two dashes, no depth numbers. How can I tell which piece of the system has failed???

(I know it's not growth on the transducer)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
C'mon Dawg..

C'mon Dawg that's not an egregious hi jack! He's fine!

If you know the make and model of the ducer you can check the resistance. Of course this only works if the manufacturer is still in business and will tell you what it should be...

In my experience I've always found it to be the display and I've never found a failed transducer but and "n of one" does not make scientific data and you very well could find it's the transducer...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-07-2008
blue collar cruiser

thanks

I have the manual out in the boat, I'll check to see if it lists what the resistance should be. I'm hoping it is the display so maybe I can try finding a new one to work with the existing transducer.

I was going to start a new thread for this question but this seemed like a decent thread to ask it on. Thanks, sorry for the hijack.

Old 07-07-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
I have the manual out in the boat, I'll check to see if it lists what the resistance should be. I'm hoping it is the display so maybe I can try finding a new one to work with the existing transducer.

I was going to start a new thread for this question but this seemed like a decent thread to ask it on. Thanks, sorry for the hijack.
You'll also need to know if it's a 200kHz or 210kHz ducer. A 210kHz won't work with an ST-60 or most newer units as they are all mostly 200kHz now days.

What brand is your depth sounder??

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-09-2008
blue collar cruiser

small success

I enjoyed a little improvement with my depth sounder this morning; it's not TOTALLY disfunctional

the display is a standard horizon DS45, purchased in 1995 and working on a frequency of 203 +/- 1 kHz. I can't find any info. on the transducer make/model, only that everything worked until last weekend.

I don't have the manufacturing specs on resistance so instead I decided to re-do all electrical connections. This had a small effect on the unit: it would throw up a number every now and then, occasionally a depth that was severly wrong. I also read in the manual the DS is supposed to be on its own dedicated circuit, mine's not. Upstream there is an older furuno GPS and one cabin light.

I'm still not sure if replacing the display is the answer.

Old 07-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Have you tried seeing what the voltage of the circuit is? My previous raymarine instruments did funky stuff if the voltage was too low. Also, have you put ferrite cores on the leads going to the GPS and the SH DS45? It might be an electrical noise issue.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
I also read in the manual the DS is supposed to be on its own dedicated circuit, mine's not.
Then put it on its own dedicated circuit - not that hard..Obviously a shortcut made..

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-12-2009

xhawk101 is on a distinguished road
trying to install raymarine fishfinder on sailboat - impossible angle due to sailboat transom angle- is there some sort of bracket adapter available? or, can i just mount perpendicular to boat keel (though the speed sensor wont work i am told fish/depth will fine)?