Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-06-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
ST-60 Depth - The Answer is YES !!!

Hi All,

I just did a major mid season electronics tweak and while I was at it replaced my Standard Horizon DS-35 depth sounder with a Raymarine ST-60.

Previous to the Standard Horizon DS-35 I had a Datamarine depth sounder. When the Datamarine failed the P.O. was in the Carib and could only find the DS-35.

They both had RCA cable connectors so the PO just used the original Datamarine depth transducer for the Standard Horizon DS-35 and it worked perfectly as they are both the same frequency.

I decided to experiment before installing my new Raymarine/Airmar transducer and low and behold the ST-60, when connected to this 20 year old Datamarine transducer, works perfectly!!!

I simply bought a short pre-made RCA cable and cut it open exposing the internal wires. I tied the "pin" or center pin from the RCA to the "blue" input on the ST-60 and the ground wire to the "black" input on the ST-60. I did not use the "screen" or shield port on the back of the ST-60.

So for those of you who have an old instrument die mid season, and you want to avoid a haul out, an ST-60 can and will work with older transducers like the Datamarine if you're creative..

Before DS-35

After ST-60 using the same transducer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Halekai-

I mentioned this idea a while back. I used the Raymarine ST60 transducers with the TackTick hull transmitter. The reason this generally works is that Airmar is often the OEM for both instrument manufacturers, and the transducers are basically the exact same except for the packaging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-06-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Nice post in the same situation - although it should be noted. If you are running the DSM 300 /400 you'll not get all the capabilities, but for depth only (not fish finder/ depth contouring) reading it will probably work...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 07-06-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Interesting. I was contemplating adding wind instrument and replacing depth (and adding speed, at some point) - but not having to haul the boat would help.

I have old Datamarine depth sounder too.
Old 07-06-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Halekai-

I mentioned this idea a while back. I used the Raymarine ST60 transducers with the TackTick hull transmitter. The reason this generally works is that Airmar is often the OEM for both instrument manufacturers, and the transducers are basically the exact same except for the packaging.
And Raymarine trys to confuse you by adding a "third rail" or "third wire" which is nothing more than the shielding of the transducer wire..

I will eventually install the new Airmar transducer but for now I'm going sailing... Oh wait? After I replace all the Quest Pex domestic water plumbing connections that are leaking... I can see why there was a class action over these POS Quest Pex fittings.. Time to re-plumb..

Old 07-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
Nice post in the same situation - although it should be noted. If you are running the DSM 300 /400 you'll not get all the capabilities, but for depth only (not fish finder/ depth contouring) reading it will probably work...
Not running the DSM as I went with the 3205 at the helm. As you can see I use my old 176 as my "Data" machine so I can have all the screen real estate for Radar/Plotter without keeping the data up and hogging screen..

Just depth is fine for me...

Old 07-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Fixing the leaky freshwater system is probably a good idea before tackling replacing a transducer, that will require you to haul the boat out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
And Raymarine trys to confuse you by adding a "third rail" or "third wire" which is nothing more than the shielding of the transducer wire..

I will eventually install the new Airmar transducer but for now I'm going sailing... Oh wait? After I replace all the Quest Pex domestic water plumbing connections that are leaking... I can see why there was a class action over these POS Quest Pex fittings.. Time to re-plumb..

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-06-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Do you know what other transducers would ST60 work with? I didn't find any combined depth/speed by Raymarine (though they do have combined display). I'd really like to use their display and a single speed/depth transducer somehow.
Old 07-06-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Do you know what other transducers would ST60 work with? I didn't find any combined depth/speed by Raymarine (though they do have combined display). I'd really like to use their display and a single speed/depth transducer somehow.
Most all should work if you do not have a DSM 300 / 400. As Hal pointed out - the only difference is the power being transmitted out. To use a DSM 300/400 the ducer has to be able to operate over the 12 Mhz freq (This is from mem and probably wrong)...but the point trying to make, it will work for most depth only situations but not likely for use with fish finding capabilities if you have the Raymarine chart/ depth setup... But I can neither confirm or deny that as I have not hacked the current ducer I have (datamarine) to work with the ST-60 or C/E series much less the DSM 300/400.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 07-07-2008
Telstar 28

I would highly recommend looking at the Airmar website, which has all the transducers made for the different OEMs. You can often figure out which transducers are functionally equivalent from the site. Wiring—color and number of wires—is often a good clue.

Telstar 28
New England