Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-07-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I find it fun to count the links as they pan out, 1,2,3,4...100, 101, 102...and so on, while multiplying by the link size every other millisecond.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I find it fun to count the links as they pan out, 1,2,3,4...100, 101, 102...and so on, while multiplying by the link size every other millisecond.
T37,
boy, we need to get you a hobby...

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 07-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
that's just his OCD manifesting itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-08-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Marking chain is best done with the small plastic markers that insert into the chain links.
Hey Dog, have you actually used these, given the recommendation?

I have been thinking of using them but have had several people tell me thay don't really last as one would think. I have tried painting the chain but that wears off quite quickly. Have also tried cable ties but the windlass has those for lunch.

For three strand rope I splice in coloured twine and that lasts well but the chain has me beat.

Andre
Old 07-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, I have used them and found that the good ones stay in place and last a fairly decent amount of time—far longer than the makeshift ones.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-08-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Mark the length the actual distance from the anchor, anything else just makes it harder than it needs to be.
For chain, use paint.
I favor a band a color (red, white, blue, repeat) every ten feet instead of numbers. Laying out rode when anchoring isn't a precise science, if you need 70 feet to make it 7:1 then putting out 80 will not suddenly make your anchor fail to hold.
Old 07-08-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
For Chain...use paint. An easy way to do it is to lay out chain on the dock. in 1/2 the lengths you wish to mark and then double it back on itself. (Example: If you want to mark every 30 feet then lay out 15 feet and double back to the beginning making a 30ft. run). Do this with all the chain and all the multiples of 30 feet are at one end. Lay paper or cardboard boxes on the dock in advance and then just spray this end with Krylon or similar in a visible light color easily seen in the dark. Let dry and then shuffle the chain around a bit to expose undone areas. Repeat as necessary and you are done. I like marking the chain every 30 feet as that gives me a 6:1 ratio for every 5 foot increment in depth. I also put a "warning" paint job near the end of my rode so that I don't let it all out and stress the bulkhead attachment point. The warning needs to be placed 10 feet or so before the point where rode will be when it is fully extended at the windlass to give you time to react.
I find this cheap and easy to maintain. Most often all that is needed is to touch up the 30-60-90-120 ft. links as I rarely anchor in more than 20 ft. here in the east and these are the only links that see any wear except in unusual circumstances. I don't really understand the need to mark any more frequently since you don't need exactly a specific ratio and it is easy to judge or let out a few more feet than absolutely necessary by formula.
Old 07-08-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
The only thing I have to add is that I have found by marking in different lengths, it is easier to see at night. Long lines 50', short lines 25. Thus, one long is 50, one long and a short is 75, two longs and a short is 125. They are different colors but hard to see at night. Not as big a deal if they fade, either. I do have to touch up periodically though.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-08-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Sailmaker's wipping at every 10', it took a little while, but I had some free time infront of the TV and it looks nice. I don't have the chain marking problem, as all the chain goes over the side everytime (very little chain).
Old 07-08-2008

TomKeffer is on a distinguished road
For marking chain, I weave about 8" of 1/4" polypropylene rope through the links. It goes through the wildcat smoothly and is easy to see in dim light.

-tk