SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Markers for Anchor Rode

7K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  TomKeffer 
#1 ·
I have just purchased a new anchor rode and a pkg of markers. My question is where to place the markers. Should the 1st 30' marker mark 30' of rode including the chain or should I only be measuring the rope.
Thanks.

#2 ·
I have no measurements on the rode. I just lay it out on the deck first. I know the distance from anchor well to the jib winch and I just multiply it by the number of rode "runs" back and forth. I am blessed with a deep gunwhale so it cannot roll off into the drink.

#3 ·
Generally, the distance is measured from the anchor attachment. That way you know exactly how far it is to the hook. I suppose there is no rule that says you can't do it however you want but if you ever put anyone else on the foredeck they'll assume it's 30' (or whatever) to the anchor not to the chain.

#4 ·
Depends... If you're going to add the amount of chain in your head, just mark the distance of rope out... if you can't remember to add the amount of chain, mark the lengths as they actually are. Marking chain is best done with the small plastic markers that insert into the chain links.

#14 ·
Marking chain is best done with the small plastic markers that insert into the chain links.
Hey Dog, have you actually used these, given the recommendation?

I have been thinking of using them but have had several people tell me thay don't really last as one would think. I have tried painting the chain but that wears off quite quickly. Have also tried cable ties but the windlass has those for lunch.

For three strand rope I splice in coloured twine and that lasts well but the chain has me beat.

Andre

#10 ·
it is pretty simple if you have a fid.

#7 ·
Brak,

I use black electrical tape to mark my rode. About 3 full turns and it lasts quite awhile. When it starts to fray, I grab some more tape.

For visual reference I start measuring every 15 feet from where the nylon rode joins my 12 ft. chain leader. Thus, 1 stripe at 15 ft., 2 stripes at 30 ft, and so on.

#8 ·
I use colored twine. It can be a little tedious but in works great and lasts a long time.

I've tried plastic tape but the water and the stretching makes it wear off.

I know I have 100 feet of chain and I only mark the attaching line. Every where I like to anchor is usually around 20 feet deep.

#9 ·
You might try plastic cable ties in different colors. Black = 100 ft, Brown = 50 ft, Red = 20 ft, blue = 5 ft. For the 125 ft mark, attach 1 black, 1 red and 1 blue cable tie. Mark every 25 ft. Keep the color key attached to the anchor locker hatch in a water proof plastic cover.

#15 ·
Yes, I have used them and found that the good ones stay in place and last a fairly decent amount of time—far longer than the makeshift ones.

#16 ·
Mark the length the actual distance from the anchor, anything else just makes it harder than it needs to be.
For chain, use paint.
I favor a band a color (red, white, blue, repeat) every ten feet instead of numbers. Laying out rode when anchoring isn't a precise science, if you need 70 feet to make it 7:1 then putting out 80 will not suddenly make your anchor fail to hold.

#17 ·
For Chain...use paint. An easy way to do it is to lay out chain on the dock. in 1/2 the lengths you wish to mark and then double it back on itself. (Example: If you want to mark every 30 feet then lay out 15 feet and double back to the beginning making a 30ft. run). Do this with all the chain and all the multiples of 30 feet are at one end. Lay paper or cardboard boxes on the dock in advance and then just spray this end with Krylon or similar in a visible light color easily seen in the dark. Let dry and then shuffle the chain around a bit to expose undone areas. Repeat as necessary and you are done. I like marking the chain every 30 feet as that gives me a 6:1 ratio for every 5 foot increment in depth. I also put a "warning" paint job near the end of my rode so that I don't let it all out and stress the bulkhead attachment point. The warning needs to be placed 10 feet or so before the point where rode will be when it is fully extended at the windlass to give you time to react.
I find this cheap and easy to maintain. Most often all that is needed is to touch up the 30-60-90-120 ft. links as I rarely anchor in more than 20 ft. here in the east and these are the only links that see any wear except in unusual circumstances. I don't really understand the need to mark any more frequently since you don't need exactly a specific ratio and it is easy to judge or let out a few more feet than absolutely necessary by formula.

#18 ·
The only thing I have to add is that I have found by marking in different lengths, it is easier to see at night. Long lines 50', short lines 25. Thus, one long is 50, one long and a short is 75, two longs and a short is 125. They are different colors but hard to see at night. Not as big a deal if they fade, either. I do have to touch up periodically though.

- CD

#19 ·
Sailmaker's wipping at every 10', it took a little while, but I had some free time infront of the TV and it looks nice. :) I don't have the chain marking problem, as all the chain goes over the side everytime (very little chain).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.