Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2008

DBboat is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint Advice

I'm getting ready to pull my boat out of the water and get some work done - like paint. There is an old ablative paint on the hull now (I don't know what kind) and I doubt that a barrier coat was ever put on. I want to explore two items:
1- should I rough up the existing paint and slather on more ablative (of my choosing)
2- blast the bottom, barrier coat (epoxy?), and then antifouling paint. (subquestion here - ablative or hard?, I have a 30' boat, I'm not a racer, I'm in brackish water all the time in NC. is it just a personal preference?)

How much time and $'s does it take to do this from your experience? Sorry for such a wide scope in a post and thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you have the option of sodablasting, barrier coating and then putting on paint, I would do that. As for paints... Micron Extra is quite good, although getting expensive...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2008

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
If your unsure of what type of bottom paint you have now it is advisable to sand it all off as some bottom paints do not bond well with others. The same applies for the barrier coat. Once you begin to sand you will see if there is a current barrier coat, problem is how long has it been on.

Take sailingdogs advice and soda blast, remove all down to gel coat and start over. Better safe than sorry.

As for the paint my choice is Micron Extra. Cost more but last longer than most. (for me 4 years between paintings ) Although I haul-out every two for clean and bottom check.

I just painted this year and west marine wanted $239.00 gallon. I found it on line for $160.00 delivered to my door. For 2 coats and a third on the leading edges on a 30 foot you will need approx 2 gallons and maybe a quart.
Old 07-09-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Are you planning on sailing in freshwater or sailwater ? Different types of paint.
Old 07-09-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
DBboat,

I personally don't think a barrier coat should be done unless:
1. you have a blister problem and the barrier coat is part of the solution.
2. you have a flaky bottom due to excessive paint buildup and you intend to strip the bottom anyway to start over. (In this case a barrier coat becomes a convenient precaution.)

Stripping otherwise good paint off a sound bottom to barrier coat it is a waste of time, money and paint. This is especially true if you have been keeping your boat in the water for most or all of the year. If the bottom has been wet for a few years or more and does not have blisters, she doesn't NEED a barrier coat.
Ditto the Micron Extra recommendation, you can find compatibility info at http://www.yachtpaint.com/USA/hotlinks/compat.pdf and if you have questions call their 800 number, 800-468-7589 they are very helpful on the phone.

PS - FWIW you only need to add ablative paint when the existing paint is close to gone, so try to figure out what paint is left on the bottom - you may not need to paint at all. If you just add more paint when not needed, you eventually end up with a heavy buildup that starts to flake and REQUIRES stripping to remove.

Last edited by sailingfool; 07-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
DB...I think you need to haul and see what you find before making any decisions. My guess is that you will need to blast simply to get the bottom in shape to paint and have the paint stick. Once you blast...you can see if blisters are present. If they are...then you have a whole different set of decisions to make. If they aren't you probably will never need a barrier coat since the boat has been in ideal blister creating conditions for years!
The barrier coat itself will run you around $400-500 bucks for the paint if you do it yourself. The bottom paint...around $600 for decent stuff like the Micron Extra. OR...you might consider a hard paint like Petit Trinidad SR that will let you scrub the bottom once in a while without damage. Maybe $150 more for this top notch paint. I would NOT use this over your existing paint..only if you are gonna blast.
Old 07-09-2008

If I blast it and if the bottom has no blisters (cross your fingers). How much time to paint with decent stuff. Can you do a coat a day or does it require extensive time to dry? I plan to do some of the work myself - ugh.

I think I'll pull it and work on other things until I can figure this out.

Freesail - I sail in brackish sound waters in NC. Great conditions for slime, barnacles, etc.
Cam - Thanks for the words of encouragement in the "hello" post. I'm enjoying the "nuthouse"
Old 07-09-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
DBboat,

See the Interlux site to answer all your questions about painting, for example http://www.yachtpaint.com/USA/hotlin...paintguide.pdf plus the individual paints have application guides. Anything you want is there somewhere.

When you say "I blast..." I hope you don't mean it literally? Blasting is a nasty business, someone needs to worry about OSHA and EPA and you wouldn't want to practice on our own bottom. Doing it yourself would guarantee several types of messes, and god knows what legal risks...

My opinion is if you don't see blisters when you've washed your bottom, you don't have any. If you bottom is smooth, figure out if you need a coat of paint or not, paint only if needed. Speaking of washing your bottom, that is also EPA risky, do you have a place out of sight where you can do even that..., or will all this happen in a boat yard who has their own rules and restrictions?

Last edited by sailingfool; 07-09-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
We keep out boat in the lower Hudson River so brackish water with barnacles and slime being the worst culprits. We also haul out for 5 months of the year.
I have been using the WM CPP ablative paint and find that 2 coats/season works quite well. Since you are in year round you may want to consider a more expensive paint as suggested.
Usually a power spraying will get most of the crap off the hull. If you have barnacles they may require additional persuasion and foul language to eradicate. I find that the biggest amount of time is spent in the prep work, not the actual painting. Once the water line is taped off you just have at and put on as many coats as mfr. recommends.
This season I used this product: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|296162|1017093&id=157662
on the prop as barnacles really will mess with your propulsion. We will see how well it works come fall.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-09-2008

I have knocked off a large portion of barnacles by snorkeling, scraping, and cussing. But there is a lot of work left to do on the bottom once it is out.

I hope to have the yard do a big chunk of the prep work. (powerwashing/sodablasting or whatever is required.) Then I would dive in ready to paint. I just wasn't sure of the best direction to undertake this. I don't want to haul every year for paint and do plan on diving it to help with the barnacle reduction.