Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2008

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
seacock seized

Hey guys I found the raw water intake seacock is siezed and the handle seems to have broken off. The issue is I'm worried that when I bleed the injector pump I can't stop the water from being pumped into the engine. I have read that you need to shut off the raw water intake when cranking motor. Well, I was thinking till I get to pull this boat out of the water could I dive down and plug the seacock and install a temp shut off valve on the hose and then remove plug so I can shut of the water? Does this sound like a good idea or do you all know of a better way. The boat is a Bombay Clipper 31 with a Westerbeke L25 and she is sitting in my slip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Something like that could be done, but the gold standard here, and this is likely to be the overwhelming response from this forum, is to replace.
Old 07-09-2008

I would but, till I get this motor going I don't see how I could get it hauled out. So you see my pickle. I can't see how it could be replaced in the water.
Old 07-09-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
People have been sailing boats for a long time without motors. I bet you could find a way to a haul out:

Can't you sail to a yard? Or tow with your tender if it's motorized? How about a buddy with a stink-pot to bring you in. Got SeaTow?

I'm not trying to be a wise-a$$ here, I'm just saying you've got some options, bub.
Old 07-09-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Have you got a tidal range that would give you a chance to allow the water-line to drop far enough?

If not...

Measure the size of the hose from your seacock. Get a non-return valve that will fit the hose. Now get a pair of long-nose vice-grips, and pinch the hose shut (or near shut) say 6" from the seacock. Now, with the flow shut off (or near so) by the vice grips, you can cut the hose a little further away and fit your non-return valve. Use hose clips.

Shut the valve, and release the vice grips.
Old 07-09-2008

Yea, I'm sure I could sail her there without a motor or get a tow however, I have a very narrow channel to get out to deep water and the wind is always on my nose so sail would be risky and tow expensive and haul out would be the time to bottom paint, put antenna on top of mast etc,etc. So I'm looking for a temp fix to tide me over, no pun. Thanks ibdavis I'm sure that's the correct way to go. Rockter just what I had in mind.
Old 07-09-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
There is a small nut 180 degree from the handle, is you losen that nut a little, the handle should be able to turn. But I really would haul out and fix this, now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwateronly View Post
...install a temp shut off valve on the hose and then remove plug so I can shut of the water? Does this sound like a good idea or do you all know of a better way. ..
How about just disconnecting the intake line at the engine, won't it lift up above the water level? Splice in a shut off valve and re-connect to the engine. Its a good idea to replace lines like this one periodically, so add a new one when you do the seacock.
Old 07-09-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
It's a bit ironic that there was just a rather lengthy thread on the subject of exercising seacocks on a regular basis. Your predicament is exactly why I always close all five when leaving the boat, opening upon return.

Is the nut the handle attaches too still in tact? If so, apply some anti-seize and then use a wrench.

Another thought is to get some of those wood plugs sold at WM or any chandlery. They are made for plugging through-hull below waterline holes in the unlikely event a seacock breaks off (as happened on my old Santana22). I would see no reason why you couldn't plug it from the other side. You could also remove the hose at the raw water filter and plug that, then crank the motor.

Thanks for proving the point for the other thread that you should ALWAYS exercise your seacocks!!
Old 07-09-2008

Just a note so I don't seem lame. I just got the boat and I will bet those poor seacocks were never exercised. I so far got two to free up but the rest are seized I will keep lubing and trying and might get them to work. Thanks for the tip about the wrench method, never thought about that. Some great advise and my last boat had all seacocks seized when I got it but all work now so I am a firm believer in maintance. Pitty the PO was not.