Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2008

blueranger is on a distinguished road
Any Mirage owners? Stuck boom...

Hi,

I went to replace the gooseneck on my Mirage 24 and encountered several issues. The first one being that the metal slide attached to the aft part of the mast where the boom connects isn't moving. I removed all the screws I could find that would seem to hold it in place. It's loose but something is still keeping it from sliding up and down the mast. Anyone know if there's some trick to this?

The second problem is that to replace the gooseneck I have to remove the cap on the boom. To me it looks like there are just 2 screws holding it in place. Those screws are not moving at all. There's no visible corrosion or rust, but the screws are frozen solid. Should I just shoot some WD-40 in there and wait a while? Any suggestion on this or if anyone has ever replaced the gooseneck on a Mirage any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2008

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I would get a good penetrating oil, there is one that foams that I have had good luck with but cannot remember the name. Let it sit over night then try the screws. The important thing to remember is you do not want to mess up the screw head.
You will have the best luck with an impact driver but if you do not have one get a screw driver that fits the head properly and has a hard plastic handle. Then tap the handle with a hammer while apply pressure on the screw. It should free up.
Last fall I stripped an entire mast and boom that had been used in salt water since 84 and got ever screw out whole. Amazed the hell out of me.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook