Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Acme Harmonic Prop Puller?

we're pretty confident our motoring issues are very likely the prop. (Just got another vote in favour of that from a sail club mate.) So we're looking into how we might get our prop changed in the water.

The Admiral found this: Changing prop underwater, by Fstbttms. Looks like a challenge, but doable .

Then she found a reference to an "Acme Harmonic Prop Puller."

Here's the question: Has anybody here ever used an Acme Harmonic Prop Puller? It doesn't pull the prop, per se, but irritates it free Has anybody used one under-water? I would think the water would seriously dampen its effect.

Secondary questions: Any way to find out what sizes of key and cotter pin we need, just in case, you know, butterfingers happen?

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I assume you've looked here: The ORIGINAL Illustrated Catalog Of ACME Products
Old 07-10-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
OK, jokes over. Found this description of it in use. Group Buy - Harmonic Prop Puller [Archive] - TeamTalk

Procedure for changing a propeller [Archive] - TeamTalk

I'd probably have the finger puller Fstbttms uses on standby, myself.

Last edited by sailaway21; 07-10-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
I'd probably have the finger puller Fstbttms uses on standby, myself.
I don't use a "finger" or gear puller. A nightmare to use underwater and not really designed for the job. I have a variety of prop pullers but the most versatile is this one:

Don't know anything about the Acme puller. Have never seen one in use, certainly not underwater.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 07-10-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Fstbttms,

For better than $300 , it damn well better be "versatile!" Do you have a suggestion for something a bit less versatile, and a heckuva lot less expensive that would be adequate for the job on a 7/8" shaft?

Btw: Make no mistake: If I can find a professional nearby that can do this job, I'll hire him/her in a New York heartbeat!

Sway,

The principle behind the harmonic "puller" is sound. So are the principles of heating the outside and/or chilling the inside. But whether it would work underwater, where I question the ability to get it to... uh... "harmonize" , seems questionable. The thing is certainly inexpensive enough--that's not the problem. The problem is getting the necessary tools on-hand and getting this damn issue solved so we can get back to sailing the boat sometime this season.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-10-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-10-2008

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
I made a prop puller. Went to Sears and bought a sheet of (I think) 1/4" steel plate. Cut it half, cut a u-shaped notch in one large enough to just fit over the prop shaft. Drilled matching holes in the two where rods would slip over the hub between blades. Got some threaded rod (same source) and cut 4 pieces of appropriate length. Fit the notched piece over the shaft and behind the prop. Put the other plate over the end of the shaft, joined the two with the all-thread and some nuts and washers. Tightened the nuts - keeping the tensions balanced and sure enough BANG it popped free.
Old 07-10-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Sailaway. When I saw the name ACME, my mind immediately fell upon the Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons...

Old 07-10-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Fstbttms,

For better than $300 , it damn well better be "versatile!" Do you have a suggestion for something a bit less versatile, and a heckuva lot less expensive that would be adequate for the job on a 7/8" shaft?
This little guy will do the trick on a 7/8" shaft. Less than 70 bucks:

PRO-PULL REMOVAL TOOLS PROPELLER
Old 07-10-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

I notice on the Acme site that they also offer the C-clamp type that fstbttms shows. At around $30 I'd probably give it a shot. I didn't find anything where an owner said don't buy that thing in looking around. And, it's certainly a technique often used for removing similar items. I wouldn't say Jim's description of irritating it off was correct, more like shocking it off which sounds worse than subsonic harmonic pulsations.

The one site, the guy said don't use a dead-head hammer with it. (there's a name for those shot-filled hammers that escapes me at the moment).
Old 07-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
sway-

They're called Deadblow hammers, since they don't "rebound" after impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
I notice on the Acme site that they also offer the C-clamp type that fstbttms shows. At around $30 I'd probably give it a shot. I didn't find anything where an owner said don't buy that thing in looking around. And, it's certainly a technique often used for removing similar items. I wouldn't say Jim's description of irritating it off was correct, more like shocking it off which sounds worse than subsonic harmonic pulsations.

The one site, the guy said don't use a dead-head hammer with it. (there's a name for those shot-filled hammers that escapes me at the moment).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.