When I couldn''t located the oil filter on my Yanmar SVE12, I figured it was time to call in a diesel mechanic to do some basic stuff like change the oil, find and replace that darn oil filter, change the fuel filter, change transmission oil, replace raw water strainers, replace the impeller, etc.
Over the phone I was quoted a price of "At least $250 but probably no more than $350."
To anyone familiar with my vintage 1976 engine, does the quote sound about right?
High end Marina''s up in the Northeast get about $80 an hour for diesel work. There are very good independant deisel mechanics (but a little hard to find) that charge closer to $50 an hour. It really shouldn''t take much more than 1 1/2 to 2 hours max to do all the things you listed. I think someone who worked fast & knew what he was doing could do it under an hour.
Time to do work items.
*Heat engine (to loosen sediment & heat oil for removal)-- 5-10 Minutes
* Change Oil and filter -- 10 minutes total using an electric oil-removal pump
* Change transmission fluid -- 10 minutes total using a oil-removal pump
* Replace impeller -- 5-10 minutes depending on position
* Change Fuel Filter and re-bleed engine fuel lines -- 10 to 20 minutes (depending on engine)
* Clean raw water strainer - 2 minutes
* Change heat exchanger zincs- 5 minutes
* Time to remove engine access and replace with Clean up -- 15 minutes
Cost for parts (varies greatly- this is ballpark price)-- Oil $9 - Fuel Filter $15 - Oil Filter - $12 - Impeller - $20 -- Zinc -$5
I think it sounds high, but not out his mind high........But I still think its too much, that is why I do most of my own work.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:02 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012