SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Loud Squeal (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/44920-loud-squeal.html)

Melrna 07-12-2008 11:34 AM

Loud Squeal

From those battery threads here, I too had a squeal from my engine. I thought it was from the belts.. So did my broker and my surveyor. After my last sail I have determined it wasn't coming from the belts at all. That noise was coming from the rear of the engine. I think it is coming from my packing gland. Can this be? Never heard of a packing glad squeal before. Thank god I just received the new GFO fiber drip-less packing. I plan on putting that on as soon as I get back to the boat. My other concern is can the noise come from the cutlass bearing?
The noise only is heard when the transmission is engaged, i.e. the shaft is rotating. I checked the transmissin fluid and all is ok.

camaraderie 07-12-2008 11:47 AM

Yeah..it can be the packing gland..hopefully the shaft is not scored which is often a companion problem. Doubtful that the cutlass bearing is the issue. Was that checked at survey for play?
Good luck Mel!

Faster 07-12-2008 11:53 AM

We too have a squeal, but only in a very narrow, rarely used rpm range... and I'm convinced it's from the packing gland.

It does seem to have lessened a bit this season so far and we have no leakage, no other problems so we just avoid running at that rpm.

Gary1 07-12-2008 12:20 PM

A squeal from the packing gland might be teflon packing. If it's teflon packing, and it has melted, you can bet your shaft is scored.

Melrna 07-12-2008 07:32 PM

Ok if it is scored than what?

djodenda 07-12-2008 09:06 PM

Don't know how to deal with a scored shaft, but you can verify if that is the problem by running the engine in neutral... If it still squeaks, then it is not your shaft packing...

David

camaraderie 07-12-2008 10:47 PM

If it is scored, then your new packing may not seal without over tightening and worst cast you may need a new shaft...but one step at a time. :D

jrd22 07-12-2008 11:20 PM

We have had a "sqeal' too from the packing/bearing/shaft. Sometimes it's at 2100 rpm, other times it's at 24-2500. Annoying because that is right about where we usually run the engine. We have checked the cutlass bearing thinking maybe that was the problem, it's fine. No increase in the frequency of the drips at the packing. This has been going on for several years so it doesn't seem to be a major problem. Hopefully just some kind of weird harmonics.

John

Melrna 07-13-2008 10:22 AM

I found out what to use if the shaft is scored; Use 280 wet emery. The wet shouldn't be a problem when I pull the packing gland since the shaft will be leaking water. LOL! My real hope is that it isn't the front or rear bearings in the transmission. That will be a real bummer. The way to test it is put the shift lever in forward, If it squeals it is the front bearing (which mine does) and if in reverse it is the rear bearing ( which I don't remember if it does but will find out when I return to the boat on Weds). I did check the transmission fluid and it is good. What gets my goat is the engine has only 100 hours on it. This shouldn't be happening!
Since I bought this boat 6 weeks ago, I have had some major problems with her. I don't know why the sea Gods are so mad at me. First the engine was overheating. Found out Yammar had a recall on the engine water cooler mixing manifold. So I got that fix. Next, the stereo went out and now Sony has it and I should hear from them this week. The air conditioner had a leak in the cooling manifold. This cause the bottom half of the Marine Air to corrode. This was a manufacture defect. I got the AC fixed enough to work but only cools the boat to 80 degrees during the day. 1/3 of the evaporating cooling fins are gone. I am in a big fight with Marine Air and the extended warranty people to replace the whole thing. Marine Air, I was shocked they won't honor their warranty because of boat transfer ownership. My beef with them is this problem happened before I bought the boat and it is a manufacture defect that the previous owners didn't catch nor did my surveryor. Lastly my GPS antenna quit working due to a cut in the wire where it goes into the stern rail. So I ordered a new wire from Raymarine. I cannot find where to buy the little rubber O-ring that fits into the stern rail hole for the old one is shot. Ugggg......:mad: OK I am done ranting!

LakeEscape 07-13-2008 02:38 PM

The little O-rings are called rubber grommets and you can get them at HD or Lowes. Buy the box of assorted sizes and keep them handy. Ranting is OK and it's free. Just about the only free thing with a used boat.

Fair Winds

LakeEscape
On Lake Norman
Charlotte, NC