Bottom cleaning - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-12-2008 Thread Starter

Bottom cleaning

The boat is a 27 foot monohull (no rail mounted grill) that lives exclusively in fresh water. It's been about 18 months since it's been out of the water. The bottom was painted at that time. Now, the bottom is covered in snot.

I've worked a bit on the bottom with a brush on a long handle. The snot comes off pretty easily, as well as clouds of bottom paint.

Is this the correct procedure and expected results?

Thanks,

Matt
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-12-2008

I scuba or snorkleand use a soft sponge to clean my boat's bottom. no hard growths since I moved it from the coast to a lake. It is now almost 4 years since the last bottom paint. I ideal is to scrub just hard enough to remove the slime and as little paint as possible. On my lake I get a very dark slime that really slows boat speed. But it is easy to remove. It takes me less than an hour using scuba. A little longer with a snorkle. Much of it can be cleaned without going underwater. Cleaning the keel is the hardest without scuba as it is deepest and requires more trips to the surface to breath for the amount of cleaning time per breath.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-12-2008
moderate?

Sounds like you have applied an ablative bottom paint and you are scrubbing it off along with the gunk. 18 months is a pretty good run so youare about due for a renewal anyway. Next time you haul...get the remaining paint off and use a hard bottom paint that will stand up to scrubbing instead of an ablative.

No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-13-2008

Count yourself lucky that you're in freshwater and not salt. No barnacles to clean off and no sharks to eat the cleaner.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander06 View Post
Count yourself lucky that you're in freshwater and not salt. No barnacles to clean off and no sharks to eat the cleaner.
As much as I dislike the short summertime/boating season in Indiana, I've found that not having to worry about being eaten by the marine life has a lot of virtue.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.