new(used) boat has barely discernible tiller delamination..what do I do? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-14-2008

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
new(used) boat has barely discernible tiller delamination..what do I do?

Hello,

The old sailboat I bought has barely discernible delamination...the crack is about 1/64 in i would say at this point. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to stop the delamination and repair the tiller without having to do a full- refurb ? Thanks,

Morgan

Last edited by souljour2000; 07-14-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
You should have some epoxy by now for this rehab project. My advise is to buy the gallon can of resin and the appropriate size catalyst to go with it. Trust me when I say that you'll use it. It keeps just fine even through the winter and you'll also use it on non-boat things as well.

Fill the delaminated plies with epoxy and clamp them extensively together. If you have to open up the ply to get epoxy in there pry it apart a bit to do so. Don't worry too much about drips and runs, you'll clean those up when you sand the tiller before applying a gazzilion coats of spar varnish. In fact, it's not at all a bad idea to sand down the tiller and coat the whole thing in epoxy before you varnish it. It'll hold up much better and a light annual topcoat of varnish will see you through for many years to come.
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I agree with Free that it is worth sanding the entire tiller and coating it with epoxy while you're doing this repair, since that will seal the wood and help prevent any future delamination from occurring. Then varnish over the epoxy to protect the epoxy from UV damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2008

SteveCox is on a distinguished road
tiller repair

A couple of points to keep in mind. Epoxy would be the preferred adhesive but don't clamp it too tight or you will starve the joint. Epoxy needs a slightly sloppy joint to work its' best. If it is a 1/64 that is tiny! I wouldn't clamp that at all but getting the epoxy in there will be a challenge. Something to try would be to use a vacuum on the far side of the delam from where you're trying to put the epoxy in assuming it goes all the way through. Use the vacuum to pull the adhesive into the joint. Put something like cheesecloth over the nozzle to keep the epoxy out of the vacuum. Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Uh, SD, I believe that it is Sway that replied first and not Freesail99. Perhaps you are spending too much time here and not on your boat since it is actually summer in the NE.
I would repair the existing tiller but definitely want to have a plan B in case said repaired tiller breaks. A backup tiller or rudder can definitely save your a$$ when you really need it. Evans Starzinger wrote a nice article on this (too bad he has two last names - search the archives as I am too lazy to find it for you now).
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

Old 07-15-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
CalebD, SD got it right and it was what I was thinking.
Old 07-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Free, sway... you see one conservative, you seen them all..... sorry bout that Free... my bad.. you do not look like the donkey.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
souljour...your description seems like you may be talking about something other than the tiller. The tiller is the handle you steer with. The rudder is what the tiller is attached to and which actually steers the boat. In my experience rudder delam is much more prevalent than tiller delam and an entirely different issue/fix. Pls. excuse me in advance if I am mis-interpreting but your post sounded just a bit off to me.