Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You big chicken... a barnacle isn't going to attack you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
The thing I liked about the prybar, is that your hand is further from the barnacles on the work surface. Less chance of getting bitten.
Haven't yet tried paint scraper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
Barnacles are no joke. They can cause problems that can make you lose a hand. For what it's worth, I won't even go under the boat without dive gloves on.
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I agree, but I think a putty knife works better than the pry bar, since it gets under the barnacles more easily. I wear gloves when dealing with the tough little bastages.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-15-2008

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
Sailnet comes thru again.

Thank you guys for your input. As usual it is appreciated.
Funny you should mention barnacles. My buddy was complaining the other day about having to dive under and clean his prop. A couple of weeks ago I was in the water scraping down the sides because of the buildup, but I forgot to feel around to check the prop. I will check it out next time I'm there. I'm a little un-enthusiastic now since the Red-headed Jellies have returned. Wet suit time I guess.
I will also consider a professional tuneup. This is the second season I have owned her and though I have changed the oil and filters and rebuilt the water pump/replace the impellor, I am reluctant to try to adjust the valves etc. (This is where "if it ain't broke..." starts to break down. Is it broke, or ain't it broke when it is smoking. Can't I just keep her below 2800 rpm and be happy until the season is over?)
As for the water muffler, It was replaced right after launch this year. The condition of the elbow is unknown. (another "how broke is it really" question).
Gracias, mi amigos!
BP
Old 07-15-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
How broke is it? You can probably baby it through the season. If you mostly go on casual day sails or don't mind having to sail home, it's not a huge problem for you right now. If your attitude is that it's a sailboat and you don't care much if the motor works or not, then you're all set. If you sail near busy channels with commercial traffic I would consider it a safety problem.

On the other hand your motor does have a issue, which will probably get worse. I would try to carefully write down the symptoms so you have specific information to give the mechanic. Such as, at what RPM & boat speed does it start blowing smoke? Record the engine temp. as well. Record any headwind, tailwind, sea conditions. Record the temp. in the engine room too. Were you running the engine room blower? The better information you have for the mechanic the more quickly he can find the problem which should $ave you.

Do you know what your max. hull speed is? Maybe you have too much pitch in your prop. and a cooling system the needs to be serviced.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2008

Just came from the boat

Went to the boat and dove in to check the barnacle situation. I'm surprised it drove the boat at all. It was covered with about 3/4" of marinelife. Twenty minutes of scraping and she was like new. Motored out and she seemed like a different boat. (The admiral has been bugging me about, "Don't you feel that vibration?" My thought was, "What the hell would she know about marine diesel engines?") Well the vibration is noticably reduced, the boat responds to the throttle better, and I took her up to 3000 RPM and no smoke or black water.
But...
Steve,
Thanks for your input. I will take your advice and start keeping a better engine log for future reference.
BP
Old 07-15-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I go over the side at least twice a summer to clean the prop. Besides loading the engine, I lose at least half a knot with a dirty prop. We often swim off the boat and cleaning the prop, checking the centerboard and rudder are normal maintenance things. I keep a masks and fins on the boat for just this reason (and in case I snag a crab pot). I use a putty knife. Works great; sometimes I skin a knuckle, but nothing significant. I like the gloves idea, though.
Old 07-16-2008
Telstar 28

Umm... might want to listen to the admiral when she says something in the future... I found that was generally the wisest policy in my house.... and even if they don't know much about engines, many admirals do have a very keen sense of when something isn't the way it should be....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceyp View Post
Went to the boat and dove in to check the barnacle situation. I'm surprised it drove the boat at all. It was covered with about 3/4" of marinelife. Twenty minutes of scraping and she was like new. Motored out and she seemed like a different boat. (The admiral has been bugging me about, "Don't you feel that vibration?" My thought was, "What the hell would she know about marine diesel engines?") Well the vibration is noticably reduced, the boat responds to the throttle better, and I took her up to 3000 RPM and no smoke or black water.
But...
Steve,
Thanks for your input. I will take your advice and start keeping a better engine log for future reference.
BP

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-16-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Umm... might want to listen to the admiral when she says something in the future... I found that was generally the wisest policy in my house.... and even if they don't know much about engines, many admirals do have a very keen sense of when something isn't the way it should be....
SDog,
Are you being metaphorical? Are we talking boats here or marriage in general? Yeah, I know, you would think I could learn that lesson after all these years.
BP
Old 07-16-2008
Telstar 28

In my case it was in general... I married a woman a lot smarter than me... nicer too... and very pretty. I miss her everyday...and wish she were still here telling me what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceyp View Post
SDog,
Are you being metaphorical? Are we talking boats here or marriage in general? Yeah, I know, you would think I could learn that lesson after all these years.
BP

Telstar 28
New England