Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-14-2008

ShockValue is on a distinguished road
Red face Jib Hanks - Repairing

Hi Sailnet folks! I'm new to sailing (done a lot of reading, but not much tiller time) but have recently bought a C-Lark 14' to get some experience.

For the age of the boat, it's in pretty good condition, but there are a couple of must-fix items, one of which being the hanks on the headsail.

Currently it uses snap system in which on one side of the luff is the male end of snap, then a small piece of material wraps around the headstay and snaps to the female side on the other side of the luff. On a 25+ year old boat, of course this material is in really ragged shape, so I need to replace it.

I'm open to ideas, but the requirements of this repair is that it has to be inexpensive, and I have to be able to do it myself.

What I'm thinking, is that since there are small holes where the snaps are currently, i could put in grommets instead, and then use a snap hook to go through the grommet and around the stay. Does this sound like an OK idea?

P.S. I tried to use the correct terminology, please feel free to ask for clarification if i flubbed something
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you reinforced the existing hole, i don't see any problem with using a piston hank on the sail. You should measure to make sure the piston hank will be the same distance from the hole to the stay or replace them all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2008

ShockValue is on a distinguished road
Hey SailingDog thanks for the reply! Just so happens I work with a lady who did quite a bit of sail repair in the past. So she just unloaded a case of tools for doing grommets and snaps etc on me (to borrow). I'm going to go ahead and re-do all the hanks since I have the tools available to me right now.

Off to search for some small piston hanks
Old 07-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good enuf...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.