Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-15-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Sailingdog

I read you switched to Tacktick instruments and was wondering what you thought of them.

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, at the middle of last season, I switched over to the TackTick T104 set, which gives you wind, speed, depth and temp, as well as an NMEA 0183 interface box. I've been very pleased with the way they work.

While the instruments can be mounted in quick-release mounts, I decided to mount mine using the more permanent screws. They are mounted on a port that I installed in the cockpit/cabin bulkhead and allows me to still use the port for ventilation when at anchor.

A few things that most people don't seem to realize:

First, the hull transmitter has a battery in it. I believe the NMEA 0183 interface does too. This allows the instruments to run independently of the boat's DC system for a while, but I don't know how long. The hull transmitter will power the two transducers.

Second, the instruments have a decent battery life, so even if the sun decides to go into hiding for a week, you'll still have instruments.

Third, as long as you're not near another boat with TackTick instruments, setup is very simple and straightforward. I found this out setting up the instruments on a friend's boat. Apparently, rafting my boat up to her's was a bad idea. We ended up separating the boats and anchoring a fair distance apart...and then trying it again.

Fourth, the TackTick instruments use standard AirMar transducers, so you can often re-use the transducers, which means you may be able to switch to the TackTick display heads without having to haul the boat. I'm an using the ST60 speed and depth transducers, which are also made by Airmar.

I've had the instruments up through quite a few thunderstorms...and haven't had any problems with them. Of course, I haven't been next to or involved in a direct lightning strike...but I don't think any brand of instruments would handle that well.

I hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Thanks SD, that helps a lot, I was concerned with the solar power and/or signal disruption, but it sounds that both are a non-issue

Thanks again

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-15-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Thanks SD, that helps a lot, I was concerned with the solar power and/or signal disruption, but it sounds that both are a non-issue

Thanks again
Dad's do not last a week. Maybe a day/two max. However, putting it in the sun seems to recharge it fairly quickly. They do seem to need direct sunlight, thnough.

They also seem a bit slower to respond (wind) than a traditional instrument might... but I have not experimented with that in detail. I am just throwing out a first had observation. But if it came to putting in those or pulling the stick and re-wiring, I would certainly go with them.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-15-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
SO how do you think they would preform under a bimini?

And when the protective cover is in place for storage how do they charge?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-15-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
SO how do you think they would preform under a bimini?

And when the protective cover is in place for storage how do they charge?
His is under a bimini.

Like I said, they do not seem to charge well under there, but simply set it out in the sun for a bit and it charges back up quickly. We have held his in the sun or set it in a spot of sun to suck up the rays, returning it to its holster after a good charge.

My experience.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-15-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
His is under a bimini.

Like I said, they do not seem to charge well under there, but simply set it out in the sun for a bit and it charges back up quickly. We have held his in the sun or set it in a spot of sun to suck up the rays, returning it to its holster after a good charge.

My experience.

- CD
Ummm, that could get old quick?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-15-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

It is not as bad as it sounds, honestly. I reccomend the product.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, I've found the instruments do just fine under a dodger and bimini. The trick is that you have to leave the covers off the instruments for a while during the middle of the day. Doesn't take too long for them to come up to charge. BTW, mine last more than a week, even if the week is really rainy and cloudy.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-16-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
I got the wind package. Installation and setup were both easy. I too went with a permanent mount and so connected the display to power so there's no issue with recharging under bimini/dodger. I've had problems, though.

The wind speed spinny thingy (sorry for the use of technical jargon!) at times won't move when the wind is under about 8 kts. Other times it's fine. Also, sometimes the wireless connection bewteen the transducer and the display seems to get lost. It either just continues to display whatever it was at the time the signal was lost or it displays "- -" for the speed and dead ahead for the direction. Calls and e-mails to Customer Service went unanswered until literally days before the 2-year warranty was about to expire. I had to send both units back for service, which will either be free under warranty of cost me $280. I haven't heard yet which it will be. For me, the jury is still out.