Hi folks - looking for a bit of advice!!
- 30ft sailboat
- dock power (although may unplug when away form boat for days on end - plug in while we are on boat) Currently have cheap 100 ft (read approx 16 or 14 guage) ext cord to reach receptacle from end of heavy-duty shore power cord.
- Bank 1 - 1 group 24 flooded start (1 year old)
- Bank 2 (house)- new 2 group 27 flooded
- Yanmar 2gm - stock alt (guess is 35a)
- no fridge, no radar
- use raymarine C80, depth, VHF when sailing
- some 12v light use at night.
I wanted to buy from my local marine store, as it's fast / good service.
Having read about their 2 choices, in my price range:
1 prosport comes prewired with an AC male plug - I would likely cut that off, and hardwire it to my panel - as boat has breaker for charger (old, small charger died)
pros - it puts out up to 12 amps to one battery if needed, whereas the Guest 10a charger will only do 5/5
- The Prosport has a charge, conditioning, and maintenance stage - Is taht better / worse than the 3 stages of the Guest charger?
Both chargers are on the page linked below!!
Chargers / Inverters - The Binnacle: Your Complete Online Marine Store
Besides looking for recommendations of one over the other, I have a couple of questions:
Both chargers say they charge 2 banks - but also say they charge 2 12v batteries!!
Can I hook it up to bank 1 - my start battery, and bank 2 (which has 2 12V batteries)?
Would I be better to hook the bank 1 charge wires to the 1st house battery, and the bank 2 charge wires to the 2nd house battery? As they batteries are already wired in parallel, would that they put 24 volts in them, or create other problems?
I would appreciate any feedback!!
PS I did read numerous articles on the subject in the archives, but still needed clarification!