SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Installing a galley hand pump (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/45052-installing-galley-hand-pump.html)

witzgall 07-16-2008 04:03 PM

Installing a galley hand pump

I scored a hand pump at the free swap table in our marina last weekend. We curretnly only have a pressure water system. Can I install this pump after the pressure pump, or do I need to run a seperate line?

Chris

EO32 07-16-2008 04:08 PM

I have one and it is tied to the tank output before the pump input.

I'm not sure of a pump can support (seal off) a pressurized line. Also it works as a backup should the pump fail or get clogged.

Chris

sailingdog 07-16-2008 04:12 PM

Second installing it so it is before the pressure water pump.

SVDistantStar 07-16-2008 05:14 PM

When i had a pressure system, i had my foot pump in the galley plumbed before the 12v pump. When the 12v pumped failed, it didnt bother me much since i use the foot pump more. Sucks not having pressure water for a shower though.

SVDistantStar 07-16-2008 05:15 PM

Oh yea, even though you got the hand pump for free, i would much rather have a foot pump. Good luck washing your hands with a hand pump.

witzgall 07-16-2008 06:22 PM

There is a never yet plumbed foot pump as well in the galley.

I want to get both salt and fresh water to the sink. I was thinking the foot pump for salt water, and the hand for fresh.

??

Chris

SVDistantStar 07-16-2008 10:04 PM

I think i would use the hand pump for the salt water and the foot pump for the fresh water. I havent bothered with a salt water pump in the galley since the water is nasty here. I do use my foot pump for everything(esp now since the pressure pump died).

Omatako 07-17-2008 02:51 AM

Think of the water flow thru the pump. One direction on the pump closes the out valve and opens the in valve, the pump cavity fills. The next stroke closes the in valve and opens the out valve and pushes the water up the line. So when there is pressure on the in-side of the pump, the valves will allow thru-flow. Hope this makes sense :p

So, with most hand pumps if you install on the pressure side of the system you'll need a stop **** to stop water being pumped through it.

This is why it should be plumbed into the non-pressure side of the electric pump.

Andre

sander06 07-17-2008 05:17 AM

Since my wife won't drink the water from the boat tanks, I plan on installing a five-gallon plastic tank that will be dedicated to fresh filtered/bottled water only using a small dedicated hand-pump in the galley.

badsanta 07-17-2008 10:42 AM

A good drinking water filter works well to remove taste and odor. Also I drain my tanks if they sit for awhile and at the end of the season.