SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Stuck Outhaul on boom. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/45062-stuck-outhaul-boom.html)

engcon 07-16-2008 07:34 PM

Stuck Outhaul on boom.
 
The traveler on my outhaul has not been moved in 2 years. It is frozen in place as though welded. I have tried lots of stuff to free it. The boom is aluminum and the traveler is SS. Any thought on freeing it would be appreciated. Failing to free it, I was considering using a band around the boom or a line around the boom to keep the clew down and use the outhaul to tension the foot. ANY THOUGHTS?

sailingdog 07-16-2008 07:39 PM

Try heating it up. Try boiling water first... the thermal expansion may help break the corrosion bonding.

Classic30 07-16-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engcon (Post 342390)
The traveler on my outhaul has not been moved in 2 years. It is frozen in place as though welded. I have tried lots of stuff to free it. The boom is aluminum and the traveler is SS. Any thought on freeing it would be appreciated. Failing to free it, I was considering using a band around the boom or a line around the boom to keep the clew down and use the outhaul to tension the foot. ANY THOUGHTS?

Photos of your set-up would help, but I'd suspect that over time, there's probably been a build-up of salt or corrosion. Either way you go, you're going to have to get the traveller off:

Take the boom home one day, lie it on the lawn and try to undo the screws. They should be stainless, and if they are I'd be really surprised if you can't get them out with a bit of brute force. Once you've got the traveller off, soaking it in fresh water for a day or so should loosen it, failing that, spray it with WD-40 or something like that.

If it's stuffed totally, you could either replace it or simply tie the clew around the boom with a short length of Spectra - or make up a 1" webbing strap if you want it to look pretty - but the traveller would be the best option for your boat, if that's how it set up now.

Sounds like a good weekend project. Have fun! :)

Classic30 07-16-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 342393)
Try heating it up. Try boiling water first... the thermal expansion may help break the corrosion bonding.

WARNING: Take the boom OFF THE BOAT before you try this!! :eek: :eek:

sailingdog 07-16-2008 08:25 PM

I would hope that he had the common sense to detach and remove the boom from the boat before trying this...but the emphasis is always a good thing... :p
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 342404)
WARNING: Take the boom OFF THE BOAT before you try this!! :eek: :eek:


knothead 07-17-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engcon (Post 342390)
The traveler on my outhaul has not been moved in 2 years. It is frozen in place as though welded. I have tried lots of stuff to free it. The boom is aluminum and the traveler is SS. Any thought on freeing it would be appreciated. Failing to free it, I was considering using a band around the boom or a line around the boom to keep the clew down and use the outhaul to tension the foot. ANY THOUGHTS?


Engcon, could you clarify what kind of outhaul setup you have? Hartleys right, a photo or two would really help.

Heat will often help to break something loose, but I usually use it as a second to last resort. If the torch doesn't free it, then it usually has be darn near destroyed to remove it.

If you are talking about a stainless car on an aluminum t-track then a lot of persistent tapping with the appropriate hammer and a lot of penetrant will sometimes do the trick.
It really depends on what kind of system you're talking about.
Help us out here.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012