SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   How ugly is allowed? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/45147-how-ugly-allowed.html)

davidpm 07-20-2008 10:10 AM

How ugly is allowed?
 
Friend has a Catalina 30, 20+ years old. As you know there is a piece of decorative teak about 6” high screwed to the top cabin bulkhead on both sides of the companion way. It is rather thin teak and was screwed and bunged.
I would like to clean, sand and varnish it to make the boat look a little more spiffy.
The problem is the screws. They are now about at the surface of the wood. No room for bungs. Would finish washers be totally stupid looking? Any other ideas?

PBzeer 07-20-2008 10:50 AM

Countersinking the screws can look okay, or using round headed screws could as well. (I would use brass)

thekeip 07-20-2008 11:21 AM

Putting a thin teak vaneer over the whole thing may appeal to you....it does to me.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

jgeissinger 07-20-2008 11:23 AM

Finish washers
 
I just varnished those exact pieces on my Catalina. I don't know if the P.O. had done it or what, but mine has always had visible screws with finish washers. Looks just fine to me. I take off as much miscellaneous teak as possible when I varnish so I can take it home to work on. It's easier and neater than working on the pieces that have to stay on the boat.

Freesail99 07-20-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Putting a thin teak vaneer over the whole thing may appeal to you....it does to me.
I'm sure that would hold up well to the sun and the elements ......

knothead 07-20-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freesail99 (Post 343648)
I'm sure that would hold up well to the sun and the elements ......


As long as it were properly laminated and sealed, why wouldn't it ?

Stillraining 07-20-2008 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
John...He has no room to countersink...:o

Yes, I believe you are talking of the raised crown ( countersunk ) SS washers...IMHO thease would look just fine.

davidpm 07-21-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekeip (Post 343644)
Putting a thin teak vaneer over the whole thing may appeal to you....it does to me.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

Don't think this boat is worth that work. Also there is a issue when the veneer get to the rounded edges.
Good post though. I always forget the veneer option which is a good one sometimes.

davidpm 07-21-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillraining (Post 343651)
John...He has no room to countersink...:o

Yes, I believe you are talking of the raised crown ( countersunk ) SS washers...IMHO thease would look just fine.


That's it exactly.

davidpm 07-21-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgeissinger (Post 343647)
I just varnished those exact pieces on my Catalina. I don't know if the P.O. had done it or what, but mine has always had visible screws with finish washers. Looks just fine to me. I take off as much miscellaneous teak as possible when I varnish so I can take it home to work on. It's easier and neater than working on the pieces that have to stay on the boat.


For this boat is the varnish thing is more "Catalina" then the teak oil solution.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012