Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-21-2008

yachtmeander is on a distinguished road
Lewmar

I need to replace the gearbox on my Lewmar 2000 windlass. The model is long out of production. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Try and find a used one on e-Bay or at a consignment shop. You also might try calling Lewmar, as they might have some spare parts for it sitting around. Checking with them can't hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-21-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
I can't tell you where you can definitely find parts, but I'd suggest giving Florida Rigging and Hydraulics a call. 561-863-7444. Talk to Tim. He's the Lewmar guru.

I understand your problem. I have an old Lewmar 3000 that is in the same boat, if you'll pardon the expression.

For what it's worth, I recently had trouble with the unit, and tore it completely apart. What I found was that the bearing directly below the capstan-gypsy was an open cage, normal steel bearing, with a chintzy seal covering it. Ultimately, it turned out that the bearing was seizing up because it was rusted. I had to press the bearing off using a 20 ton press because the common steel bearing had rusted to the stainless steel shaft. Even then, it took a little heat from an oxy-acetylene torch to get things moving.

I mention all of this because I thought the gearbox was trashed on my unit, too. It may just be that bearing that's hiding under the seal on your unit, too. The good news is that you can get sealed, S/S replacement bearings at a good bearing shop. They're pricey, but they'll last forever. Or you can do what I did and buy a standard sealed, pre-lubed bearing, slather it down with anti-seize and add it to the list of to-do things for the yearly haul out.

In the event that doesn't work, and Fl. Rigging can't help, you might try Sailorman in Fort Lauderdale. They always have a good selection of used windlasses. Here's the link: Sailorman New & Used Marine: The World's Largest and Most Unique New & Used Marine Emporium

Finally, if you end up having to replace the unit because you can't find parts, be advised that Vetus now owns Maxell, and their customer service-warranty repairs, etc., has gone in the toilet. Not my opinion, but the opinion of one of the local boatyard managers I was talking to a couple of weeks ago.

Lewmar, as you've probably found out, is bad about changing models, and not stocking parts for older units. Since Maxell is now owned by Vetus, I personally wouldn't touch their stuff any more. That sort of leaves Lofrans and Quick. I installed a Quick unit for a friend a few years back, and to the best of my knowledge, he hasn't had any problems with it.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to tear your windlass apart. Just tell yourself: "If it's already busted, I can't bust it any worse by tearing it apart." Maybe you'll be lucky and just find a rusted English bearing like I did.
Old 07-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, be aware that Lewmar bought out Simpson-Lawrence a few years back, and discontinued almost all of their product line shortly thereafter.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.