Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-23-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
However, if you have it made or make it yourself forget the straps...I HATE them...they SUCK!!!!!!!. They don't last but maybe a season, get in the way when you go forward, etc etc. Go with rigid adjustable struts. As soon as I can I plan to redo this on ours. See here: Struts for Dodger and Bimini Frames - Rigid & Assembled Struts While your at the Sailrite website check out all the info they have on the topic.
T37,

Nice boat!

I think the practicality of the strap arrangement may depend on the particular boat's configuration. Ours, for instance, do not impede ingress or egress from the cockpit in any way. They secure to stainless eyes at the top of the stern and port/starbord boarding gets respectively, so they are off the deck and out of the way.

Also, the strap material on our bimini has proven exceptionally resilient. I would guess it is over ten years old and shows no sign of degradation. Unless the struts you mentioned can be easily broken down/folded, I think we'd stick with the straps since we stow our bimini and cover it with the boot when not in use. How else would the crumbs in the cockpit ever get cleaned, if not by the rain?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Good point John, the current arrangement with the straps doesn't work well for me on our boat

I am not certain, but I believe that the struts fold when you want to break it down for stowage.

And where are you getting those straps from? I have purchased 3 sets now from West Marine, its one of things I seem to have accepted as crap
Old 07-23-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
And where are you getting those straps from? I have purchased 3 sets now from West Marine, its one of things I seem to have accepted as crap
I've never had to purchase replacements, they are original to the bimini, which predates by many years our ownership of the boat. So I don't know where they came from, but they appear to be standard webbing.

I'm not too surprised that the WM versions are not holding up well. They have been sourcing a lot of gear from "east asia" that is not living up to claims of UV resistance, etc. I've had to return several products that were toast in just one season, which had been purchased to replace previous items that served for many many years.

Give us a report if you try those struts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-29-2008

douglaskjensen is on a distinguished road
Bimini

Check out Overtons.com The quality is good, the price is right, and they have a bunch of sizes to choose from. You can certainly go out and have one custom made but I think that is a waist of money.

Biminis come in lots of sizes (length, width, and height). We purchased one that was 30 to 36 inches high , 5 feet long, and 78 inches wide. Probably # 29787 I would get sunbrella and if I were to do it again, I would get one that is 6 feet long. After I ordered it, I discovered I could move the attachment point for the main sheet farther forward on the boom. It did not go straight up from the lower attachment point. Not sure why but moving has not caused any problems. Longer bimini, more shade.

Usually you can cut the height of the binini down somewhat by cutting the main support post down. That is why they are listed as a range from 30 to 36 inches.

We also mounted the bimini on 4 foot slides. We can position the bimini far back and shade most of the cockpit leaving about 2 feet of sun forward. We can move it 1 foot forward and still sail. When we are at anchor or in a slip, we can move it all the way forward and extend the living space of the cabin into the cockpit. This is important because we sail a 26S foot MacGregor sailboat. The boat has a poptop that raises and gives more head space. there is also a cover that goes over the raised poptop that can keep out the rain. The bimini overlaps the raised poptop and makes a larger area protected from rain. Kind of like a front porch on a house.

I mounted the slides on the outside of the hull rather than on the top of the seat back. The bimini flexes enough to it really doesn't matter if the base is 65 inches wide or 78 inches wide. Attaching the slide was a challenge because I could not gain access to the inside of the boat at that point and the fiberglass is rather thin there. I will get better access when I install some cockpit speakers in the seat backs and then I can reinforce the attachments with some backing plates.

We are very happy with the installation and the only thing I would change is the length but one of the people who sails likes to sit in the sun a lot so I might get over ruled on that one anyway.

Douglas Jensen
Jemardo II
MacGregor 26S
Hopkins, MN
Old 07-30-2008

westerly33 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, what about bimini for a ketch? Are there any inventive minds out here?

Regards.
Alexei
Old 07-30-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
By any chance, is it a center cockpit ketch??? If not, you're going to have some problems with the mizzen more likely than not. Do you have a photo of the boat's profile?
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerly33 View Post
Hey guys, what about bimini for a ketch? Are there any inventive minds out here?

Regards.
Alexei

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-30-2008

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerly33 View Post
Hey guys, what about bimini for a ketch? Are there any inventive minds out here? Regards.Alexei
Mine is very small due to the cockpit configuration but it helps. The only "invention" I did was to have a foot trimmed off the mizzen to raise the boom for head clearance. Click on my username/public profile for another picture.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 07-30-2008

This is my boat. Any suggestions how to make a bimini?

Regards.
Alexei
Attached Thumbnails
adding a bimini-dsc_1830web.jpg   adding a bimini-dsc_9922web.jpg  

Last edited by westerly33; 07-30-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
alexei

i think you are stuck with one of these
Attached Thumbnails
adding a bimini-umbrella-hat.jpg  
Old 07-30-2008

I have too many shrouds around the cockpit, cannot use this.