Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-22-2008

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Wilcox Crittenden "Head Mate"

I'm looking for input on this head. Ideally I would like to hear from anyone who has one on longevity, how it deals with solids, ease of service etc etc.
I got one with my boat and don't want to install it if it does not work well.
Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
IMHO - It's at the bottom end of the spectrum. My boat came with one. It only lasted 28 years, so obviously a POS. When it came time to rebuild the pump, which was every couple of years, we decided to upgrade.
Old 07-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If it is brand new... sell it on eBay and buy a Lavac. The Lavacs are about the most problem free of the marine heads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-22-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbondy View Post
IMHO - It's at the bottom end of the spectrum. My boat came with one. It only lasted 28 years, ...
I dunno, a head that worked for 28 years can hardly be said to be "bottom end of the spectrum," seems to me.

We've got one of these on our 32-year-old Pearson 30. About the time we bought the boat (last year about this time), it quit pumping water in. Thankfully, it still pumps waste out. I researched our options. Within a reasonable budget ("reasonable," for us, does not mean $1000 for a new toilet), I came up with: 1. Replace WC Head Mate with Raritan PHII (manual). 2. Re-build the Head Mate.

From what I've read: The Wilcox Crittenden Head-Mate is a fairly highly-regarded product. I've choose to rebuild. Just haven't gotten around to it, what with everything else going on.

Jim
Old 07-22-2008

28 years of service does seem pretty good.

How does it deal with um "large deposits"? Does it block easily?

Thanks for the input
Old 07-22-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I have two of these heads.

The PHII is a better head, in my opinion. That is what Dad has on his boat. However, for the cost and ease of operation, the WC is not bad. It would not be a bad choice.

The build is very straight forward. As a matter of fact, I will be rebuilding it this week. I just ordered the new kit ($75ish dollars/piece). The head lasted about 2.5 years I guess. The gaskets finally appear to have worn out. However, ours likely went out because I use a CL/Teflon In-line head treatment. This is very hard on gaskets. I have no doubt it caused a premature death... but worth it.

Bottom line, it is as fine as any cheap head. There are better. You get what you pay for.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-22-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
28 years of service does seem pretty good.

How does it deal with um "large deposits"? Does it block easily?

Thanks for the input
No blockages for us, even with 2 kids that do not always follow the 4 square rule.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-22-2008

Thank you.
Old 07-22-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
I was being tongue in cheek. Maybe it says something about the state of the equipment, but the Head-Mate is, I think, the cheapest MSD on the market. I think that is probably the main reason so many manufacturers install it as original equipment. Meanwhile, they CAN last a very long time. Does that make it good? A PS review recommended the Raritan PHII over the Head-Mate, as does Peggy Hall, the self-proclaimed "Head Mistress". Given the functional equivalence of the HM and the PHII, I'm not really sure what recommends one over the other. They are equivalent technologies. I can't fault a decision to stay with the HM. There are all sorts of reasons to pick one head over another, though, from something as simple as seat size/shape to the process of flushing. My crew hates the idea of pumping a head, so electric was the way to go. Different strokes ...

Last edited by jbondy; 07-22-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I was being tongue in cheek.
Sorry, that flew right by me

Quote:
... the Head-Mate is, I think, the cheapest MSD on the market.
I think not. I'm pretty sure Jabsco, and perhaps others, make cheaper units.

Quote:
I think that is probably the main reason so many manufacturers install it as original equipment.
Or maybe because it's "just good enough?"

Quote:
A PS review recommended the Raritan PHII over the Head-Mate, as does Peggy Hall, the self-proclaimed "Head Mistress".
Yup. But is the PHII enough better than the Head-Mate to justify tossing a perfectly good (other than the pump, in our case) Head-Mate to buy a PHII? When I asked that question here, months ago, the opinion was "No."

Truth be told: From what I've read, pretty much all marine toilets are nasty, undependable things whose only redeeming feature is that sometimes they more-or-less work for a while, if you're lucky.

Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.