Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-24-2008

rlongfield is on a distinguished road
Grampian 23 Question

Hello,

I have a line on a Grampian 23 but it is missing a few things, first the boom, second the sails and third a trailer or cradle.

How hard is to find a replacement boom and sails? The boat is a pretty good price but I don't want a boat that is going to cost me more for sails and boom then one that had these items included.

A rough guess on cost is fine.

Thanks,
-Rob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, you're much better off getting a boat that has the sails, boom and trailer, even if it is a bit more money. For instance, a friend of mine just bought a O'Day Javelin daysailer. It came with the full rig, sails and trailer. She paid about $150 more than another Javelin, without the trailer or sails and the trailer alone would have cost at least $250 to purchase separately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2008

rlongfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
IMHO, you're much better off getting a boat that has the sails, boom and trailer, even if it is a bit more money. For instance, a friend of mine just bought a O'Day Javelin daysailer. It came with the full rig, sails and trailer. She paid about $150 more than another Javelin, without the trailer or sails and the trailer alone would have cost at least $250 to purchase separately.
That's my fear is that these three items may cost me more than a fully rigged boat and a lot more time as a try to find sails and a boom for a boat no longer in production and that saw a very limited run.
Old 07-24-2008
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Keep looking

If the boat is free (or close) it might be worth it, but there are lots of very inexpensive boats in this size range. Also the G23 does offer good accomodation for its size but it really does not sail that well.

To give you an idea of costs, I looked at the Bacon Sails website and they had a suitable main for $150 and a number of jibs from $150 to $300+. You would not need to find a G23 boom, just one that had a compatible gooseneck - for example, I would suspect that G26 ones would be similar
Old 07-24-2008

parttimesailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlongfield View Post
Hello,

I have a line on a Grampian 23 but it is missing a few things, first the boom, second the sails and third a trailer or cradle.

How hard is to find a replacement boom and sails? The boat is a pretty good price but I don't want a boat that is going to cost me more for sails and boom then one that had these items included.

A rough guess on cost is fine.

Thanks,
-Rob
Even recreational sails are going to run $400 - $600 ea. for this size boat if they are similar to quotes I have gotten for a MacGregor 22.
Old 07-24-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I have been on a old Grampians. gate valves used as sea cocks, no holding tanks, there is more to worry about then just the missing sails.
Old 05-26-2009

grampian230 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I have been on a old Grampians. gate valves used as sea cocks, no holding tanks, there is more to worry about then just the missing sails.
hmmm, that would depend on how you're intending to use the boat. I don't know of many 23' boats with holding tanks, and I need the flexibility of taking the portapotti ashore to an outhouse where there are no pumpouts.

a properly maintained gate valve works fine. if it's a huge concern, replacing it isn't that big a deal.

I find my G23 sails very well except in very light air. I don't race, but in decent wind it's faster than other Tanzer 22's I've encountered, and I've beat much larger boats upwind that were being sailed inefficiently. It sure doesn't look like a fast boat with those squarish aft sections, but it seems to work. We bought the boat to cruise with our two kids and were looking for the biggest bang for the buck. 4 years later I still can't find a better alternative, certainly in that size range.

I have recored some of the deck and need to do more. This is probably a given if you buy one of these boats.

It will be difficult to buy a used mainsail for this boat; I just got a new one for ~900$cdn. If you have scrounging skills, the boom shouldn't be a big deal.

The cockpit is small. The tradeoff is that it has much more cabin space than alot of boats in this size range.

Trailer launching is a pain. This is partly because I have a crappy trailer, but it will never compete with a MacGregor for trailering ease.

I'm not saying the boat is perfect, but this boat does have alot of good features that I couldn't get/afford on another boat.
Old 05-26-2009

jimq26 is on a distinguished road
Here's a link you can check re pricing.

Model

Yes - they are a well built vessel, no question.
Pricing is ranging between $2300 to $5000 for G-23's in pretty good condition.

Klacko Spars did all the original Grampian, C&C, etc masts & booms. Here's their link - Klacko Spars - Home