SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Changing A Raw Water Impeller (How To) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/45300-changing-raw-water-impeller-how.html)

Maine Sail 07-24-2008 10:58 PM

Changing A Raw Water Impeller (How To)

Hi All,

I just changed my impeller, second one this season, and this time I finally remembered to bring my camera.

I've noticed a string of overheating threads recently popping up here and on other forums so I thought this new photo based article may help some who are not totally familiar or comfortable with the task.

Changing A Raw Water Impeller
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/i...220/medium.jpg

sailingdog 07-24-2008 11:05 PM

Nicely done. :)

brianontheroad 07-24-2008 11:43 PM

couldn't ask for more!

Great post/article -- especially since I have the exact same impeller/water pump system on my Westerbeke 27 that I'm going to have to replace tomorrow :)

camaraderie 07-24-2008 11:55 PM

Excellent as usual Halekai! Thanks.

Pamlicotraveler 07-25-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

As I said this job is very, very easy. If you can change oil or an air filter or clean a blender after making frozen "chick drinks" you can change an impeller.
Halekai,

Your illustrated guides are very helpful. Really good. (did you do the stuffing box illustration a while back? You must have. I have saved it and used it)

With the impellor I have avoided changing mine on my Yanmar 4jh because it seems so inaccessible. There is no way you could take pictures like what you have here. I am certain I would drop one of the screws for the plate, or probably the plate itself, into the bilge and that "20 minute job" would ruin a sailing weekend or end up in me utilizing my unlimited Sea Tow policy:)

I have a spare impeller and the tools to change it, ie bent needle-nose pliers etc, and I think I can do it when I need to. But I really wonder why Yanmar puts the impeller case on the backside of the pump since it considered a maintenance item. It has to be done by feel - at least I don't have any mirrors that would work.

Anyway...thanks for the great explanation and illustration.

T37SOLARE 07-25-2008 11:19 AM

Halekai,

Another GREAT post, thanks!

Pamlicotraveler,

My raw water pump is also not the most accessible, and with my eyesight and bad back, changing it in a seaway would be next to impossible. This past winter I retrofitted the cover with a
Speedseal and I am very happy with the results.

chuck5499 07-25-2008 11:31 AM

SoulMates is a Jeanneau DS40 and has a Yanmar JH4 engine - maybe the issue is not yanmar but the engine access the boat mfg gives you - Jeanneau gives great access (at least i have it) and changing the impeller can be done without a lot of trouble -
i would suggest that you do it at the dock before thinking you can do it at sea - it took me a while to figure it out at the dock but now i know i can do it at sea - may not be easy but i will have the confidence that i can do it - I did use a wire tie to get it in place and once i figured that out it was a breeze -
just my thoughts
chuck and svsoulmates
ki4sry
fulltime cruiser - on the hook in cambridge,md

chuck5499 07-25-2008 11:32 AM

SoulMates is a Jeanneau DS40 and has a Yanmar JH4 engine - maybe the issue is not yanmar but the engine access the boat mfg gives you - Jeanneau gives great access (at least i have it) and changing the impeller can be done without a lot of trouble -
i would suggest that you do it at the dock before thinking you can do it at sea - it took me a while to figure it out at the dock but now i know i can do it at sea - may not be easy but i will have the confidence that i can do it - I did use a wire tie to get it in place and once i figured that out it was a breeze -
just my thoughts
chuck and svsoulmates
ki4sry
fulltime cruiser - on the hook in cambridge,md

Freesail99 07-25-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

With the impellor I have avoided changing mine on my Yanmar 4jh because it seems so inaccessible
If possible, try and duck tape the bottom end of a cut up plastic bottle or container to catch anything, that might fall.

Freesail99 07-25-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

With the impellor I have avoided changing mine on my Yanmar 4jh because it seems so inaccessible
If possible, try and duck tape the bottom end of a cut up plastic bottle or container to catch anything, that might fall.