Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-24-2008

farmboy is on a distinguished road
Mildew suppression/prevention

So we sail on eastern lake Ontario where it has been a very wet/humid summer. We were on our boat last weekend after a couple of weeks away and found a faint line of mildew where a stowed sail was touching the hull. We unloaded the boat of all sails/pfd's etc. and did a thorough inspection. Found what I would call some minor mildew. We plan to do a thorough scrubbing of the boat this weekend with a mild bleach solution. Just wondering if anyone has any specific advice for products that stink less than bleach that work for suppressing mildew.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Put in a solar vent or two and getting the air moving, will go a long way in stopping the mold and mildew.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ventilation and sealing off the leaks are the best way to prevent mildew and mold. If you don't stop the leaks, it will take a lot more ventilation to prevent the mold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Put in a solar vent or two and getting the air moving, will go a long way in stopping the mold and mildew.
Yes!!! Or you could try desert sailing I hear that's very dry..

In all seriousness bleach & water works well but DO NOT let it sit in the bilge. Bleach & stainless keel bolts don't like each other. Be sure to rinse and dilute any bleach water that makes it to the bilge. Oh and wear rubber gloves.

Solar vents REALLY work!!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-24-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
I agree wth the comments above about the need to increase the amount of ventilation.

Here in the south, I use plain white vinegar to wipe up any mildew that occurs. It works pretty well, wont dissolve your boat and doesn't drve you out of the boat.
Old 07-24-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
There are "oxy" cleaners, and hydrogen peroxide, and fancier ways to get rid of mildew but bleach is the most cost effective. Remember that you want to THOROUGHLY RINSE any chemicals off the sail and the hull, and if you thoroughly rinse off bleach--there won't be any more smell. Think of the odor as a good thing, it tells you when you have rinsed well enough.

With the heat and humidity the east coast has been having this summer "a trace" of mildew shouldn't be a surprise.

As others have said, the solar vents are one of the best ways to combat mildew. Maybe more expensive than mildecides in the short run--but it's so nice NOT TO HAVE TO CLEAN!
Old 07-26-2008

ecpersson is on a distinguished road
Which Day/Night Solar Vent?

Which Day/Night Solar Vent?
I just got a new-to-us 28' Pearson, and I'm interested in getting two Day/Night Solar Vents (as described at BoatUs's boattech/vents page. But which one should I get? In my opinion, mildew and mold are lethal for boats, so this is at the top of my list and I want to get a good quality, reliable one.

What is your experience with Day/Night Solar Vents? Which ones would you recommend to get, and to stay away from? Good warrantee? Am I looking for the right thing, or has the technology been updated since the writing of that BoatUS article? Thanks!

PS: We have two windscoops in on the cabin top in the middle of the boat.
Old 07-27-2008

billangiep is on a distinguished road
To add to the suggestions above I burn a hundred watt light bulb 24/7 while dockside and along with the solar vent have had no mold issues.
Old 07-27-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Ecpersson, I have two of these.
Old 07-27-2008

farmboy is on a distinguished road
Leaks are also a problem. Unfortunately, I am often away from my boat for a couple of weeks at a time. When I return to it, there is usually a bit of water in the bilge and a bit more in the lazarette. This really annoys me. Last weekend I sat on the boat for a while during pouring rain. I couldn't see water coming in anywhere. I think that it may be an issue of wind direction when it is raining. I am still mulling over what I am going to do about this. My boat is an older Shark24, and when the companionway is closed, there are some small openings. Any input is appreciated.