Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-29-2008

grinfax is on a distinguished road
Varnish

Hello,
I need to repaint the wood on the outside of my boat. There is not much of it, but it still needs care. The previous owner seems to have used Cetol. Since it's not that much wood and the old varnish is peeling off at spots I think I will just sand the old paint off and start anew. I would like to know what varnish to use? Why do so many people use Cetol?

Thanks,
Kim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Grinfax-

Asking what varnish to use or what anchor to use are basic questions that can start crusade like holy wars... ask four sailors, and you'll get four or more opinions. I'd recommend Behr Spar Varnish.

Cetol is popular because it is simpler to apply and maintain than varnish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-29-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yes you can sand the old stuff off and begin anew. People use Cetol because it takes less care than Varnish...but many people use Cetol badly and it ends up looking really ugly after a while. Do a search on Cetol here and you will see how good it CAN look and it is easier to take care of than varnish.
On the other hand...nothing looks quite as good as good varnish applied correctly. With only a little teak to take care of on your boat, that may be the best way to go. It all depends on how much time the "look" is worth to you each year!
Old 07-30-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
You can start here by reading what I do with teak.
Finishing a Cockpit Table

Products? I use West Marine's high end varnish. It's actually Z-spar's stuff that's been repackaged. I also use Epifanes if I have more time, because it's slow drying.
Old 07-30-2008

grinfax is on a distinguished road
Ooops I did not want to start a war. Thanks for the info. Off I go to start sanding. Thank you all for taking tim eto reply, Kim
Old 07-30-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
No problem, Kim. We sorta beat up on each other around here like brothers and sisters do. No serious flaming.
Old 07-30-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
And there are a variety of options to Cetol. We use West Marine Wood Pro Plus, made by Epifanes. Practical Sailor said it was as close to the varnish look as you could get with the products out there. You can also put a new coat on every 4 hours vs. every 24 hours with Cetol. I'll let you know how it is when the season is done.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 07-30-2008
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
If you want the best ...

use Epifanes gloss varnish. It is what the pros use and was highly recommended by Practical Sailor. Note that it is not the easiest stuff to use by any means. I put 11 coats on my boat with sanding after each coat. Looks great but a great deal of work.