Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-29-2008

Pumaman is on a distinguished road
Mast pin for San Juan 23?

Hello,

I've enjoyed reading these forums for quite a while but haven't posted much since I didn't have a boat until recently.

Now, however, I am the new owner of a San Juan 23 that is very much in "project boat" condition. With the boat I inherited all kinds of odd bits and pieces of lines, rigging, etc., which I am still trying to sort out prior to getting on the water.

I have discovered that my old mast pin seems to be in need of replacement, but am having trouble locating a new one. Does anyone know of a source for these? The pin I'm talking about is the one that you slip in at the aft side of the mast base when raising the mast (I don't even know it's proper name).

Any help would be appreciated. This is the first of many questions I'm sure!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2008

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
My deck stepped masts just used SS bolts.
Old 07-30-2008

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
BTW, a friends SJ23 is the boat that started my search for a San Juan of my own. If you haven't sailed it yet you are in for a treat.
Old 07-30-2008

idealflaw is on a distinguished road
congrats on the new boat.
i too am a recent sj23 owner. regarding the pin, i too had looked at replacing. the real problem was the retainer clip that goes through the pin had corroded and could not be removed - it was fused in the hole. i took it to west marine to look at just getting a new pin but had no luck. Fortunately, one of the employees was very helpful - he went backstage and grabbed a drill. He put the pin in a vice clamp and drilled into the pin. It was as good as new after that..
had I been unable to replace, I think I would have had to make many trips to places like home depot and other marine stores until I found a suitable alternative.
Old 07-30-2008
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
Cool

Congrats on the new boat! I would first try to identify the manufacturer of the main spar (mast) by its cross section. Try looking on rigrite.com or dwyer.com.

Once you find the manufacturer of the spar they usually group all of the parts related to that spar as accessories. If that doesn't work there is always the SJ Owners site.

I'm sure someone else here at sailnet.com can help if you can't find the spar mfg.

Good Luck!

Last edited by capngregg; 07-30-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2008

rbensyl is on a distinguished road
Red face

Hi there- you will love this website dedicated to the SJ23 if you haven't seen it yet- look for "SJ 23 tech tips" on google and you'll find the site.

I have had one for about two years and the projects go fast- its a pretty well designed boat.

FWIW- Mine has been using a long threaded stainless bolt with nut on the end to keep the mast in place.

Enjoy!
Old 07-30-2008
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
I am a past owner of a SJ 23. Had a ball on that boat and sailed it in some pretty stiff breeze. Clark built some pretty good boats. Enjoy!!!!
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbensyl View Post
Hi there- you will love this website dedicated to the SJ23 if you haven't seen it yet- look for "SJ 23 tech tips" on google and you'll find the site.

I have had one for about two years and the projects go fast- its a pretty well designed boat.

FWIW- Mine has been using a long threaded stainless bolt with nut on the end to keep the mast in place.

Enjoy!
rbensyl, I do know about the SJ23 site - it's great and I'm already planning a number of projects based on their info. Thanks for the message!
Old 07-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngregg View Post
Congrats on the new boat! I would first try to identify the manufacturer of the main spar (mast) by its cross section. Try looking on rigrite.com or dwyer.com.

Once you find the manufacturer of the spar they usually group all of the parts related to that spar as accessories. If that doesn't work there is always the Morgan Owners site.

I'm sure someone else here at sailnet.com can help if you can't find the spar mfg.

Good Luck!
Capngregg, thanks for your message. My mast was made by Kenyon; I've looked on rigrite but haven't found the piece I need. I'll give them a call though.
Old 07-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealflaw View Post
congrats on the new boat.
i too am a recent sj23 owner. regarding the pin, i too had looked at replacing. the real problem was the retainer clip that goes through the pin had corroded and could not be removed - it was fused in the hole. i took it to west marine to look at just getting a new pin but had no luck. Fortunately, one of the employees was very helpful - he went backstage and grabbed a drill. He put the pin in a vice clamp and drilled into the pin. It was as good as new after that..
had I been unable to replace, I think I would have had to make many trips to places like home depot and other marine stores until I found a suitable alternative.
Thanks for the congrats - fortunately my pin was already out when I got the boat.